• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think, Just a thought, that if testing proves out 60 rather than 55 hp, the engine could be de-tuned to provide the target HP of 55, and increase the MPG even more.
Back when we used to actually set timing, you could retard the timing and get less power and better MPG, or you could advance the timing just to the point of "knock" or "ping" and get more power and worse MPG.
Discussion?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I think, Just a thought, that if testing proves out 60 rather than 55 hp, the engine could be de-tuned to provide the target HP of 55, and increase the MPG even more.
Back when we used to actually set timing, you could retard the timing and get less power and better MPG, or you could advance the timing just to the point of "knock" or "ping" and get more power and worse MPG.
Discussion?

EM has always told us that this IAV engine is actually capable of a good bit more power and is already being de-tuned to maximize MPG. It could be that during dyno testing the sweet spot power curve which IAV found maximizes MPG, and meets all the other EM engine performance requirements, also happens to peak at 60 HP.

As MPG is subject to many variables beyond the engine, such as tire compound type, tire width, transmission gearing, overall vehicle weight, and of course aerodynamics, it is difficult to say from the outside looking in what difference any little change in engine power would actually have on the entire vehicle.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just reviewed the Kody Klindt YouTube vid from back in October. It was said the transmission top gear ratio would give 1500 to 2000 engine RPM at 60 MPH cruise (my guess would be 1800 ish). If this is accurate then the engine would need peak torque at a very low RPM, possibly as low as 1600 to 2500 RPM. Otherwise you'd have nothing left for hills or acceleration without continuously downshifting. Then there goes your MPG.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just reviewed the Kody Klindt YouTube vid from back in October. It was said the transmission top gear ratio would give 1500 to 2000 engine RPM at 60 MPH cruise (my guess would be 1800 ish). If this is accurate then the engine would need peak torque at a very low RPM, possibly as low as 1600 to 2500 RPM. Otherwise you'd have nothing left for hills or acceleration without continuously downshifting. Then there goes your MPG.

in addition to gearing to help with the ever changing terrain that folks will traverse, the IAV engine has been designed with :

"One of the potential technology features of the Elio engine is the two-step valve lift system (VVA) which uses switching tappets. The two-mode tappets allow switching between two different valve lift profiles which allows the engine to change its airflow capacity. One mode increases airflow capacity for more torque/power in city driving. The other mode decreases airflow to reduce pumping work during light load operation such as highway driving.

The switching tappet consists of two nested housings, the inner and outer housing. The inner housing is actuated by the center cam lobe while the outer housing is actuated by lobes on either side of the center lobe. The outer housing presses against a lost motion spring when the hydraulic actuation circuit is at low pressure. In this mode the center lobe determines the valve lift. Both housing parts can be linked by means of a coupling mechanism, a high pressure hydraulic chamber. In the locked condition, the high lift is transmitted via the outer housing to the valve. As in the standard tappet, valve lash adjustment can be by hydraulic or mechanical means." ...... taken from Tech Talk v39

I'm really looking forward to experiencing the motor shifting from power to speed modes

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This image was taken today inside the Elio display at the NASCAR race at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Not only is this a new marketing board featuring a photo of the actual IAV/EM engine but it also features an interesting change in the specs as it lists the engine as being rated at 60 HP instead of 55 HP as we have been told tor a while now.

View attachment 4951
It is very nice EM let the NASCAR people have this information. Why didn't they send the same information to us at the same time? We are the ones who believe in this project enough to put money down on it. What is the problem? Are emails becoming expensive?

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is very nice EM let the NASCAR people have this information. Why didn't they send the same information to us at the same time? We are the ones who believe in this project enough to put money down on it. What is the problem? Are emails becoming expensive?
"What is the problem" Is none of our business,- with who, how, when, they choose is ONLY for them to decide. The "WE BELIEVERS" sounds hollow. Why many here feel a certain entitlement to EM's rationals/ business model because they plucked down a few bucks seems......................

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"What is the problem" Is none of our business,- with who, how, when, they choose is ONLY for them to decide. The "WE BELIEVERS" sounds hollow. Why many here feel a certain entitlement to EM's rationals/ business model because they plucked down a few bucks seems......................
We will agree to disagree. The engine is putting our 9% more power than planned. This is significant information. EM has known this for some time. However, during that time they have sent out emails of pure hype. In just one of those emails, they could have substituted this significant information for some of their hype.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I get the feeling that the news letters aren't conducted like actual news. They seem to stack up their objectives, ahead of time, or wait until they get direction about what to 'put to print'. So it's not up to date or closely tied to activity on the ground.

The engine team is independent of the funding, and both independent from the high level marketing. And the guys doing the car shows are on their own mission.

I'd probably pull my hair out trying to keep three or more different mobile teams in sync. When you delegate them out, they inherently act independently, but then they are inherently diverse in everything they do. All the work of delegating them out is matched by all the work to keep them on the same page.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I get the feeling that the news letters aren't conducted like actual news. They seem to stack up their objectives, ahead of time, or wait until they get direction about what to 'put to print'. So it's not up to date or closely tied to activity on the ground.

The engine team is independent of the funding, and both independent from the high level marketing. And the guys doing the car shows are on their own mission.

I'd probably pull my hair out trying to keep three or more different mobile teams in sync. When you delegate them out, they inherently act independently, but then they are inherently diverse in everything they do. All the work of delegating them out is matched by all the work to keep them on the same page.

catherder.jpg

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, back to the engine.....torquey (new word?) engines can be lots of fun, because their high-torque output peaks at rpms near where the HP is beginning to really get going, and that makes for a real sporty engine, top to bottom ends.
Just think if my flat-head V-8 '49 Ford (230cu.in.,100hp) had made horsepower like that.....we thought with three of those old Stromberg 97 carbs we were something else. Probably a good thing considering the tires I had in those days. They turned to rags pretty easily.

Top Bottom