• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

Brainmatter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
are any of these transmissions similar to "paddle shift", my MRS toyota has no clutch, but i must upshift by paddle or stick, downshifts only when stopped without going thru gears??
Your MR2 spyder does indeed have a clutch, but its actuation is controlled by a computer, not your foot.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
are any of these transmissions similar to "paddle shift", my MRS toyota has no clutch, but i must upshift by paddle or stick, downshifts only when stopped without going thru gears??

Smart car has an AMT. F1 transmission Ferrari's up until the 458 Italia had a single clutch. Also Lamborghini E gear. BMW SMG and others. The most obvious comparison is the Smart twofour.

I would like to test the AMT in the Elio if its that great feeling then it would gain more favor for me but I am still in the row your own field. I have a feeling most wont like it. It may detract from some people buying it. I think it may have been a good idea to use a conventional AT instead.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My 2014 Focus has one of those newer type automatics it is a standard that use clutch packs to make it an auto. It works well great fuel mileage. It does how ever shift different than the old type autos.. Ford replace the cultch pack and seals at 18K under warranty due to improper shifting. I hope their change fixed the problem for good.

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think it may have been a good idea to use a conventional AT instead.
I have wanted this to be a consideration also. I got a truck with 180K + miles with the original conventional AT. Still shifts smooth. Only had to have the seals replaced once to stop it from leaking fluid. Since traditional AT work perfect and hold up well, why go thru all this hocus pocus to make a manual AT shift. From what I seen here, there are reports of them not working all that well.

I just pulled out my window sticker on the truck. It has a 19306 sticker price with the auto option adding 990. Keep in mind this one is much more heavy duty with O/D. As it needs to be able to tow 2000 pounds on the bumper or haul 1400 pounds in the bed or both.

So, if Elio is going to charge that much extra or more on a 6800 dollar car, why can't they come up with a simple auto. Something tells me there be a lot less problems.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have wanted this to be a consideration also. I got a truck with 180K + miles with the original conventional AT. Still shifts smooth. Only had to have the seals replaced once to stop it from leaking fluid. Since traditional AT work perfect and hold up well, why go thru all this hocus pocus to make a manual AT shift. From what I seen here, there are reports of them not working all that well.

I just pulled out my window sticker on the truck. It has a 19306 sticker price with the auto option adding 990. Keep in mind this one is much more heavy duty with O/D. As it needs to be able to tow 2000 pounds on the bumper or haul 1400 pounds in the bed or both.

So, if Elio is going to charge that much extra or more on a 6800 dollar car, why can't they come up with a simple auto. Something tells me there be a lot less problems.
Efficiency of autos is greatly improved when the pumping losses are removed. The AMT eliminates that at the expense of some longevity. Well, even manual transmissions have to have clutches replaced at times.

Jelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
2008 Smart Passion Coop currently has 104,000+ miles and not one problem. Transmission takes some getting use to but its a hoot to paddle shift. The suspension is like a golf cart but fun around town. HOWEVER been there done that. If Elio comes with that transmission I well forgo it and take the manual as I don't do a lot of city bumper to bumper driving. My one hope is that the suspension will be better than just another golf cart ride. The Elio look is what I'm after. Then a little comfort would be a bonus.
thSIEV659S.jpg

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
2008 Smart Passion Coop currently has 104,000+ miles and not one problem. Transmission takes some getting use to but its a hoot to paddle shift. The suspension is like a golf cart but fun around town. HOWEVER been there done that. If Elio comes with that transmission I well forgo it and take the manual as I don't do a lot of city bumper to bumper driving. My one hope is that the suspension will be better than just another golf cart ride. The Elio look is what I'm after. Then a little comfort would be a bonus.View attachment 3119

Maybe if the AMT was more Ferrari and less Smart 4-2 it would be cool. From watching the Sukuki Celerio videos it doesn't look all that better than a Smart 4-2

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
2008 Smart Passion Coop currently has 104,000+ miles and not one problem. Transmission takes some getting use to but its a hoot to paddle shift. The suspension is like a golf cart but fun around town. HOWEVER been there done that. If Elio comes with that transmission I well forgo it and take the manual as I don't do a lot of city bumper to bumper driving. My one hope is that the suspension will be better than just another golf cart ride. The Elio look is what I'm after. Then a little comfort would be a bonus.View attachment 3119
Has the ability to paddle shift been confirmed? I was under the impression it would change the gears for you without this option.

Top Bottom