• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Standard Equipment And Options

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
highway-hi-fi.jpg

So this wont be an option?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 9329
So this wont be an option?
That's the 78 player I was asking about!!
Made by Motorola IIRC.
Worked ok while you were parked; forget about it on a bumpy road; and hope that you time the end of the record with a long red light; changing records is all manual.

No, I don't remember when they were an option; I found one and hooked it up as a novelty; took it out about 2 weeks later; only records I could find for it, well let's just say they weren't rock & roll.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's the 78 player I was asking about!!
Made by Motorola IIRC.
Worked ok while you were parked; forget about it on a bumpy road; and hope that you time the end of the record with a long red light; changing records is all manual.

No, I don't remember when they were an option; I found one and hooked it up as a novelty; took it out about 2 weeks later; only records I could find for it, well let's just say they weren't rock & roll.
They had some real drawbacks:
WIKI:
The system appeared in Chrysler automobiles from 1956[2] to 1959 (1956-1958 model years). Records for the system were manufactured exclusively by Columbia Special Products, and could hold roughly 45 minutes of music or an hour of speech per side. This was accomplished by the use of a very slow rotation speed of 16⅔ RPM—versus 33 RPM for long-playing records and 45 RPM for singles

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
They had some real drawbacks:
WIKI:
The system appeared in Chrysler automobiles from 1956[2] to 1959 (1956-1958 model years). Records for the system were manufactured exclusively by Columbia Special Products, and could hold roughly 45 minutes of music or an hour of speech per side. This was accomplished by the use of a very slow rotation speed of 16⅔ RPM—versus 33 RPM for long-playing records and 45 RPM for singles
No wonder they never played right :becky:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the information guys. Sorry about not knowing what those items were. I feel a little like I'm under a rock haha
No, you're great for our perspective; you grew up in a computer age; for a lot of the rest of us, computers came later in life. The first Personal Computers (aka PC's) were unbelievably expensive and had the same computing power (if not less) then a calculator has now; and we thought they kicked butt!
My first upgrade was to a full Meg of RAM in a Wang 286; it even had a hard drive! (like 10MB), used I paid $600 for it, and it was right when 486's were being talked about.
So to hear your views is the other side of the coin. (You probably don't even know what 286's are).
I like having those "fresh" eyes around.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No, you're great for our perspective; you grew up in a computer age; for a lot of the rest of us, computers came later in life. The first Personal Computers (aka PC's) were unbelievably expensive and had the same computing power (if not less) then a calculator has now; and we thought they kicked butt!
My first upgrade was to a full Meg of RAM in a Wang 286; it even had a hard drive! (like 10MB), used I paid $600 for it, and it was right when 486's were being talked about.
So to hear your views is the other side of the coin. (You probably don't even know what 286's are).
I like having those "fresh" eyes around.
8086/8088 represent!

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My earliest memories of computing involved a Windows 95 computer, a 24.6 kbs dial-up internet connection, and having to delete some old games to make room for a whopping 500kb shareware game :p

Top Bottom