• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Some Questions I'd Like To Ask Paul Elio

wayne kemp

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Jeff, I think you hit the nail on the head for the 3 months but I think it will be longer before they get to 700 a month.
I sure don't want one of the first few thousand. Remember windows 7 and even some of the early bird phones.
I bet the service managers will be pulling their hair out of their heads the first year.
One thing everyone needs to remember is that The Segway was to turn the world around and it didn't.
Americans are spoiled to the smooth riding/driving/gadget cars of today. The Elio may be cheap but comfort,I doubt it.
But I still want one to play with.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Jeff, I think you hit the nail on the head for the 3 months but I think it will be longer before they get to 700 a month.
I sure don't want one of the first few thousand. Remember windows 7 and even some of the early bird phones.
I bet the service managers will be pulling their hair out of their heads the first year.
One thing everyone needs to remember is that The Segway was to turn the world around and it didn't.
Americans are spoiled to the smooth riding/driving/gadget cars of today. The Elio may be cheap but comfort,I doubt it.
Not cheap but rather inexpensive and built with quality, proven parts. It seems to have all the creature comforts needed for a comfortable daily commute...................in the motorcycle it is. Please note the Segway is a totally different class of transportation and nearly as expensive to buy and Segway just introduced the 2014 Three Wheeler Patroller Model for around $11,500.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree with this. When we look at how collectable Elios will be we have to think along the lines of classic VW Beetles.

Unless you have one of the first 100 Elios off the line the best way to make money on your Elio would be to find someone willing to pay you a premium for your early build instead of waiting months for retail stores to open and place an order at that time.

excellent analogy, one that makes sense to me .... if/when we buy one it will be used and I hope used often .... at my age, having fun with it is much more attractive than having one of our kids inherit a collector's item ..:)

Jim

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Craig, post: 41759, member: 431"
4. What is the design solution for the windshield wiper?
It was posted that the wiper is not an issue and they will be using a wiper design made in France.

Jerry Vassallo told me on 6/18 that redesigning the windshield wiper was the single most difficult design problem they were dealing with at the time ... given that the roof height is being raised some 2" above the P4, with a longer windshield as a result, deploying and stowing the wiper where it won't be a source of aerodynamic drag was being difficult. Where was the posting you refer to?[/QUOTE]

I understood the increase in roof height was only for the rear area of the Elio. Not the entire vehicle. I also understood the windshield wiper to be used is imported from France. I saw the Elio on 7/11. This is how things were presented to us then. :) Z

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Jerry Vassallo told me on 6/18 that redesigning the windshield wiper was the single most difficult design problem they were dealing with at the time ... given that the roof height is being raised some 2" above the P4, with a longer windshield as a result, deploying and stowing the wiper where it won't be a source of aerodynamic drag was being difficult.
Z

it is truly remarkable that they have reached a point so fine that they are worried about an aerodynamic drag caused by a windshield wiper

Jim

UCF'73

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Awesome, I can tell I will have a blast with interpreting the predictions of this graph. Here's my interpretations, have fun.

1 month = 30 days into production >>> 600 vehicles made, now at the rate of 35 / day
6 weeks = 45 days into production >> 2200 made, now at 175 / day
7 weeks = 53 days into production >> 3700 made, now at 250+ / day
2 months = 60 days into production >> 7100 made, now at 360 / day
3 months = 90 days into production >> 20,600 made, now at 500 / day
4 months = 120 days into production >> 29,100 made, now at 600 / day
13-14 weeks = 130 days into production >> 35,100 made, now at 675 / day
Don't shoot the interpreter!

Hypotheses [I've no idea what that word means ;) ] :
  • First 500 vehicles done in the first month
  • It'll be into the 3rd month, before the last of the current $1k all-in folks get their vehicle (I estimate 9k)
  • It'll be into the 5th month, before the last of the current reservation holders get their vehicle (33k+)
  • Looking at the graph, it'll be in the 6th month when the vehicles produced reaches 60k, which is a guess as to the limit on the first year of production. So if all goes as planned, perhaps fleet vehicles start being produced at this point.
Amazing. That's something I'd have to see to believe.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that the inventer of the Segway died by driving one off a cliff?? That would stiffle sales.

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I put my money in, the Elio had about 9k reservations. I have no number as I am at 100 dollars. According to the graph, I should be getting mine around day 70 or 80 of production, right around Thanksgiving 2015, if they start production Sept. 1, 2015.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I put my money in, the Elio had about 9k reservations. I have no number as I am at 100 dollars. According to the graph, I should be getting mine around day 70 or 80 of production, right around Thanksgiving 2015, if they start production Sept. 1, 2015.
I might be wrong, but I think all the $500 and $1000 "want ins" would be before you.

Top Bottom