• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Reservations: 65341 As Of 6/20/2017

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Elio Team are not allowing Canadians to reserve until (according to Jerome at Elio Motors) Elio is on the Road in the USA and only then would they start to look at expanding into Canada.

Presently anyone from Canada trying to sign up to Reserve the Elio cannot do so because the drop down Menu on the site does not offer Canada as an option only Ameria is available.

During my conversation with Jerome he suggested that I consider using an American address.

Anyone here willing to pm me their address so that I can go All In?

Address must be a valid Address with postal code.
wow, you get this done and you will be the coolest ride in Canada! I vote you will get two TV spots for the effort. You-Tube videos? Countless.
But with-in 6 months, dozens of others will have followed your lead.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The rationale for l/100km (or gallons/100 miles in Imperial units) is to underscore the real-world advantage of increased fuel efficiency, or lack thereof. Once you get into higher mileages, an improvement of a given amount has a diminishing return. Manufacturers often trumpet small advances in mileage of already-high-mileage vehicles, but don't push the same thing at lower mileage ratings, where it has the greatest effect. (This is because they want to spotlight their environmental friendliness, while burying the fact that most of their vehicles are stupidly inefficient.) People look at the difference in a high mileage vehicle and think "wow, 60mpg is 10 more than 50mpg, that's really good". When they look at a low mileage vehicle, they think "meh, 17mpg is only 3 more than 14mpg, big deal..." In reality, the effect on actual fuel used is the exact opposite of what you would think.

For example, let's say you are comparing those two mentioned above: 50/60 mpg, and 14/17 mpg. This is how it works out:
View attachment 10727

The high-MPG car increasing economy by 10 MPG saves only 0.33 G/100M, but the low-MPG car increasing by 3 MPG saves nearly 4 times as much.

The benefit is more apparent in metric than in Imperial, due to the liters/gallons conversion.

View attachment 10729
I totally get your point here. I once calculated the value of 1mpg improvement to about $300 of vehicle purchase for my range of travel. But that was only true for the first half-dozen mpg over 25mpg. The value of one mpg actually was diminished in ratio to the total mpg reached. For example, the first 1 mpg above 50mpg was worth only $150 in vehicle pricing.

I was trying to figure out the customer value difference of the Elio to, say maybe, a new Prius, or even a used car. At the time gas was $4.25/gal.
But I've since decided it's best to just calculate/compare the monthly payout for each total package.

So currently those rough comparisons, not using Elio financing, are....

25mpg - used car, Standard sedan -
$12k - capital outlay (with tax & license)
$260 - vehicle payments 48month @10%
$252 - monthly fuel cost - $3/gal - 2100miles
$512 - total monthly payout

50mpg - Prius
$24K - capital outlay (with tax & license)
$480 - vehicle payments 48month @10%
$126 - monthly fuel cost - $3/gal - 2100miles
$606 - total monthly payout

50mpg - Prius (lease with balloon followup)
$24K - capital outlay (with tax & license)
$250 - typical low-end lease payment (best case possible)
$126 - monthly fuel cost - $3/gal - 2100miles
$376 - total monthly payout

84mpg - new Elio
$8K - capital outlay (with tax & license)
$170 - vehicle payments 48month @10% (worst case, actual purchase should beat this)
$75 - monthly fuel cost - $3/gal - 2100miles
$245 - total monthly payout

Top Bottom