• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Reservations: 65341 As Of 6/20/2017

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
seems then that folks all in 1k will all be getting their E within 4 weeks of production??
Unless G+D is working overtime, I don't even think the stores will be open, creating overloaded distribution centers? I remember threads of calculations guessing starting w/ one shift, then 2, and reminding everyone that the same number of engines will be needed as Es, and that's where the major block will be. Then again, maybe something I didn't see. I know there are members here who have worked lines Some who actually worked in the factory(,so i'll defer to their wisdom and insights.
I remember them saying they were going to deliver the first indirectly till the distro centers were up and running. I'd imagine they'll have the marshaling centers up rather quickly and use them as distribution hubs till the stores get opened.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
seems then that folks all in 1k will all be getting their E within 4 weeks of production??
Unless G+D is working overtime, I don't even think the stores will be open, creating overloaded distribution centers? I remember threads of calculations guessing starting w/ one shift, then 2, and reminding everyone that the same number of engines will be needed as Es, and that's where the major block will be. Then again, maybe something I didn't see. I know there are members here who have worked lines Some who actually worked in the factory(,so i'll defer to their wisdom and insights.

One of the things you may have missed was the statement that not all "E"s would have actual engines and that they would put weights in to simulate the engine weight in some of the crash test units.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One of the things you may have missed was the statement that not all "E"s would have actual engines and that they would put weights in to simulate the engine weight in some of the crash test units.
I think the reason for 31 engines is that engine testing is happening as well. Engines tested, some running cars, some crash 'gliders' will all be addressed. Elio R&D will be busy through the end of the year I should think. There may be a little pause while the A+ money gets collected. We will see.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe they said the ones that would be used for crash testing would not have IAV engines
They may not have engines at all just appropriately heavy blocks of metal mated to the motor mounts. No full interior, either. Only what is needed for the specs of the particular crash test.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Let's make it easy for the folks that can't get to the blog because of company firewalls and keyword blocking:

fed0b86aaa6e97ed744b459c32fde7fc?s=50&d=identicon&r=G.png

A Peek Inside the E1 Testing
by The Elio Team

[Broken External Image]Happy Friday Elio’ers! A couple of weeks ago we discussed a change from “prototype” to “engineering” vehicles, the “P to E” blog, that shared a significant milestone in our progress. In that blog, we discussed the E vehicles and our plan to share more information over the coming weeks. Well, this week we will add some color to the E1 process and how they will be used during the next step in our progress.

The E1 vehicles, E for engineering, are vehicles that we will use to move the Elio from a prototype to a production vehicle. The vehicles will be built with production in mind, and unlike the prototypes, will all be built basically at one time. The current plan is to build around 25 E1 vehicles. The E vehicles will be used for testing predominantly, although there is a huge push (from the Blog guy) to get a couple for marketing too!

So, what kinds of test will we do? We plan on doing what every manufacturer does as a normal course of bringing a vehicle to market.

How many tests is that? A lot. Without counting each test there has to be well over 100 on the schedule already. The tests will be in all major areas of the vehicle: electrical, powertrain, interior, durability, brakes, safety, performance, fuel, body and many more. Each of these areas will have multiple tests. Let’s look at a couple in more detail: safety and interior.

[Broken External Image]

Safety is one of our four "must haves" drivers for Elio Motors and will be tested with that in mind. The safety tests, which are more than the simple “crash” tests, will be live vehicle tests that will match up with the simulations we have performed (and shared) to get to this point in our development. When all goes according to plan, the tests will verify the simulation outcomes. Some of the tests will be frontal crashes, side impacts, head restraint, sled tests, etc. Our plan is to do the same testing that the major auto manufacturers perform for the vehicles in their vehicle offering today.

The interior is another area that we often get questions about from our fans. The interior will probably have 4-5 vehicles that are used for tests. Some of the tests: controls and display (making sure you can see and reach everything that you need to), comfort, IP (instrument panel) development and verification, driver ergonomics (armrest at the right height, sight lines good etc.), manufacturing ergonomics (how the manufacturing team will put it all together), and fit and finish. These are the tests that lead to a positive driver experience which, by the way, is quite good as it sits today and will only get better.

[Broken External Image]

So quick math tells you that is a lot of vehicles right there for only two types of tests. Here is where the engineering team gets creative. The vehicle to test ratio isn’t 1:1. We can use a single vehicle for several different tests and then send it to another group to use for their tests. One exception is destructive testing... once it is crashed into a wall, you do not want to then take that vehicle over to the ride and handling test. The results may be a little off after that. We can however, if we so choose, perform all types of ride and handling tests and then take it over to interior ergonomics. That is how the engineering team saves time and money during this process.

We will continue to share the process with you as we move forward.

The Preview Tour:

August 28-30 – Sonoma, CA – Sonoma Raceway – GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma

Thank you for your continued support!

Top Bottom