• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Reservations: 65341 As Of 6/20/2017

Macadamean

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
IF I were Elio, I wouldn't share any information about the engine till I was sure it was sure to meet both reliability and economic goals. Elio can't have the press saying that the Elio motor has failed... or doesn't deliver... Doubts about the engine could lead to discredit towards other aspects of the company. We don't want that! Having said that, Jerome told me that we'd hear some engine news soon.
I wasn't really saying to let the community inspect or test the engine, I mean just showing it running period. That would show reliability and could be behind their protective wings, but it would generate hype and shut down some of the nay-sayers.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It may have been the longest 8 weeks but at least you got to wait for that number! Now, let's see that engine and the final prototype!!! I'm thinking big news before Halloween.

More likely by Thanksgiving, we'll have more than the meal to be
thankful for.............
thanksgiving03.jpg

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wasn't really saying to let the community inspect or test the engine, I mean just showing it running period. That would show reliability and could be behind their protective wings, but it would generate hype and shut down some of the nay-sayers.
Yeah. I'd be worried that something would go wrong in testing after showing off the engine and then it'd be months before I could show any progress with the engine that I could share and in the meantime, the press would be hounding me for "inaction" or "delays" or "failure to produce"... But, you could be right. Maybe they'll show us a running engine with exhaust connected. That would be nice. You know... if the new Elio isn't ready for Prime Time yet.

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There was earlier discussion about Tata Motors in India making a car that did not meet minimum U.S. weight standards. For those unfamiliar Tata Motors is a huge conglomerate, and one of India's largest car makers. They bought Jaguar and Land Rover from Ford Motor in the late 1990s, own Tetley Tea and a steel company, and more.

In January 2008, Tata Motors launched Tata Nano, the least expensive production car in the world at about $3,000. Tata has faced controversy over developing the Nano as some environmentalists are concerned that the launch of such a low-priced car could lead to mass motorization in India with adverse effects on pollution and global warming. Pretty much the opposite market situation faced by Elio in the U.S. It may, however, be a precursor to issues faced if EM chooses to export to India in the future.

As for the rate that Elio reservations are running, I wouldn't have any concerns. I was part of that reservation spike at the end of the 50% period. Each milestone achieved will enhance the reservation rate, and the likely elimination of the 25% promotion at some point will generate another reservation spike.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think things are a bit slow because of the wait for news worthy physical progress.

It would seem the assembled engine is still about 2 weeks away. And that would be nice. But, I think a running test engine, or at least in test, with some published power curves these will make things a bit more lively.

However, some positive statement about the funding is the real gorilla in the room. Either that loan guarantee or a success at a 'round of approval'.

While we sit here waiting the nay-say news toadies are having a resurgence. Bless their little black hearts. :mad:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think things are a bit slow because of the wait for news worthy physical progress.

It would seem the assembled engine is still about 2 weeks away. And that would be nice. But, I think a running test engine, or at least in test, with some published power curves these will make things a bit more lively.

However, some positive statement about the funding is the real gorilla in the room. Either that loan guarantee or a success at a 'round of approval'.

While we sit here waiting the nay-say news toadies are having a resurgence. Bless their little black hearts. :mad:
Edison didn't invent a way to make a lightbulb... he invented thousands of ways to NOT make a lightbulb. I hope you are right about seeing the engine. It would be great to see some performance data. Know what I mean?

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It would be a very strange marketplace if no-one designates model years on the Elio.
If that's proves to be the case, the states will do it for EM per the date of mfg. when they title the vehicles.
Just speculation, but many of the states may demand a model year designation from EM in order to title the vehicles.
How else would a person know exactly which used (and for that matter, which new) vehicle a person was buying 5 years from now?

Last edited:
Top Bottom