• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Quick Poll. Yes, Another Poll. This One About Transmissions.

Will you be buying a manual or automatic?

• Total voters

ElioDigger

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The 5speed manual WILL have a clutch pedal and a gear shift lever that is 1-2-3-4-5 and reverse. The 5speed automated manual (AMT) will be the same transmission as the 5speed manual. It to will have a clutch but no clutch pedal. The shift selector is marked R n F with a detent with + or - for manually shifting the AMT. If you just select F then it operates just like any other automatic. The clutch is still there operated by electromechanical servos just no pedal. The gear shifting is still there operated by servos but no lever.

This is the same as the smart. It does a good job. it is not smooth as a true auto but it is what it is, a manual. clutch slippage is an issue the smart battled for a while but they have that sorted now.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Martin philpot--Actually the VW "autostick" is the great grandfather of all AMT transmissions. 50 years of improvements have done worlds for the idea. 18 wheeler AMT's (some with 18 speeds) have been in use for years. The clutch is normally only used when starting from a dead stop. The rest of the trip the control module takes care of all the shifts.

hawg_ryder

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Martin philpot--Actually the VW "autostick" is the great grandfather of all AMT transmissions. 50 years of improvements have done worlds for the idea. 18 wheeler AMT's (some with 18 speeds) have been in use for years. The clutch is normally only used when starting from a dead stop. The rest of the trip the control module takes care of all the shifts.

Skygazer, I kind of figured that... It would be hard to believe otherwise... My bad on the previous post of mine concerning the clutch pedal, but I could of sworn I saw a YT video that made that assertion... I don't use FB so I didn't have access any info posted there... Anyway, that being the case I believe I will return to the manual tranny with a clutch pedal... Apologies to all! :oops:

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Jeffro-- I fully agree. Manuals are just SO simple. The clutch assembly being the only thing that really wears out. Then in 3 or 4 hundred thousand miles maybe a couple of bearings, blocker rings and possibly shift forks. To me conventional automatics are Voo Doo. I've never learn them and don't really want to.

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd personally prefer an automatic with cruise control for traffic/mpg reasons, but it remains to be seen whether i'll want to pay the upgrade cost (whatever that may be) to get a unproven AMT (unproven in the one-of-the-first-few-thousand-off-the-line sense).

ncarter124

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll probably get a manual just to save money (assuming the auto is going to cost more which it sounds like it will at this point) and due to it being much more simple... however I have had some very troublesome manuals (2012 Mustang GT with the Chinese-built Getrag 6-speed for instance) so the reliability is a crap-shoot.

ncarter124

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Jeffro-- I fully agree. Manuals are just SO simple. The clutch assembly being the only thing that really wears out. Then in 3 or 4 hundred thousand miles maybe a couple of bearings, blocker rings and possibly shift forks. To me conventional automatics are Voo Doo. I've never learn them and don't really want to.
Exactly. I watched a mechanic friend put a kit on an auto out of a Mustang once. Once you've seen a valve body opened you begin to really realize how unbelievably complicated they are. The only reason I'd buy an auto is if they offered remote start from the factory, that's the sole reason my Jeep has an automatic.

Top Bottom