• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Quick Poll. Yes, Another Poll. This One About Transmissions.

Will you be buying a manual or automatic?

• Total voters

seeker

Elio Fan
Reaction score
A large knob on a large steering wheel was a very common sight on the full-size models back in the day. In some of those monsters, it was the only way you could turn the wheels when the vehicle was not rolling. Y'know, for parallel parking, getting out of a tight parking spot and things like that. Most vehicles did not have ps in the sixties when I started driving, though I recently owned a '63 buick special that had ps for a short time. There was enough serious tension in the steering linkage while turning the wheels with no forward motion, that the wheel could "kick back" and break your arm if you slipped and your hand went between the "spokes" of the steering wheel or your wrist got creamed by the knob. Honest. I knew people that did just that. I found out recently that those knobs have since been outlawed by the DOT.
http://www.suicideknob.net/state_laws.html
Are you talking about suicide knobs? About the only time I see them is at car shows.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Brodie knob
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
220px-Brodie_knob.jpg
[Broken External Image]

Aged Brodie knob on the steering wheel of a forklift.
A brodie knob (alternate spelling brody knob) is a knob that attaches to the steering wheel of an automobile. The knob swivels, and is intended to make steering with one hand less difficult. Brodie knobs are also known as "necker knobs", because they allow steering with one hand while necking with the passenger. One disadvantage of the knob is that after letting go of the steering wheel after going around a corner, the steering wheel spins rapidly and the knob can hit the user's forearm or elbow. Other names include suicide knob (a reference to Steve Brodie, after whom the knob is said to be named), granny knob, and steering wheel spinner.
220px-Oliver_Seat.jpg
[Broken External Image]

Brodie knob on an Oliver tractor.
Brodie knobs enjoyed limited popularity on trucks and tractors before the advent of power steering. Their main use today is still in trucks, particularly semi trucks where they allow simultaneous steering and operation of the radio or gearshift. They are also used on forklifts and riding lawnmowers, where frequent sharp turning is required. The knob is also standard equipment in most modern farm and commercial tractors, its main purpose being to ease single-hand steering while the driver operates other controls with his/her other hand or is traveling in reverse.

hawg_ryder

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A large knob on a large steering wheel was a very common sight on the full-size models back in the day. In some of those monsters, it was the only way you could turn the wheels when the vehicle was not rolling. Y'know, for parallel parking, getting out of a tight parking spot and things like that. Most vehicles did not have ps in the sixties when I started driving, though I recently owned a '63 buick special that had ps for a short time. There was enough serious tension in the steering linkage while turning the wheels with no forward motion, that the wheel could "kick back" and break your arm if you slipped and your hand went between the "spokes" of the steering wheel or your wrist got creamed by the knob. Honest. I knew people that did just that. I found out recently that those knobs have since been outlawed by the DOT.

Not trying to "stir the pot" here, but where did you find out that "suicide knobs" have been outlawed? Here's a link that will take you to all 50 State's DMV's regs and no State has banned them, and in fact some require their use for handicapped drivers... I know they are legal in Texas and my 83 year old mom has one on her 2011 Sonata because its easier for her to turn the wheel at parking lot speeds... http://www.suicideknob.net/state_laws.html They're available for sale at any parts house, Amazon, Wal Mart, JC Whitney, etc... Just sayin'

hawg_ryder

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The transmission, as far as I've been able to discover, will be "sans" clutch pedal no matter which version you select... The automatic having a detent or selection that will perform the shifts for you while the "manual" will not... I will pay the extra coin for the auto for the convenience when I don't feel like shifting... I just hope its not a rehash of what I had in my '69 VW sedan... The infamous "Autostick"! :rolleyes: You can read all about it here on WIKI... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostick The very first "mod" I did to that Bug was ditch the Autostick for a regular VW 4 spd manual gearbox (with a clutch pedal)...

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Deja vu all over again. It has been stated that the manual transmission will have a clutch--both here and on the Facebook Elio motors page by Elio Motors.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The 5speed manual WILL have a clutch pedal and a gear shift lever that is 1-2-3-4-5 and reverse. The 5speed automated manual (AMT) will be the same transmission as the 5speed manual. It to will have a clutch but no clutch pedal. The shift selector is marked R n F with a detent with + or - for manually shifting the AMT. If you just select F then it operates just like any other automatic. The clutch is still there operated by electromechanical servos just no pedal. The gear shifting is still there operated by servos but no lever.

ElioDigger

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am not worried about PS on a car that is 1200#. My smart has PS and you can not really tell the difference to one that does not. I do realize the engine is over the Elio front wheels, unlike the smart that is rear engined

Top Bottom