• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Move Up Production Start Date?

Ray Dolasin

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Yes, but you started a thread Like It or Leave It in which you commented "I'm tired of all the "Future Elio Owners" who are trying to reinvent the wheel. If you don't like what is presented by Elio then bow out or build your own...:mad::)o_O
"

It seems to me LGilbert's comment made was as appropriate as yours. I didn't think either one was inappropriate.
OK. Thanks.. Life is too short to worry about it! :)o_O

LGilbert

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight on the engineering and production aspects of producing a vehicle, however Your comment " I don't understand the endless infantile complaints about when the car will be ready for production as if Elio is responsible for the emotional stability of impatient people" was inappropriate in my opinion. Not everyone understands the process and can only learn from constructive response. As most I would like to have my Elio today but living in the real world I know it ain't gonna happen..;)

Elio has to tolerate the endless banter of poorly thought out user group comments, many based on a lack of understanding of business and/or design considerations. Somebody suggested that the name of the car be a user group decision and to dispense with the top marketing consultants as being too expensive. Too expensive is not hiring the right people. Dozens of people are asking that they stop the design process and produce the crude P3 mule design as soon as possible without having any insight on the design goals of the vehicle. That would be death to the company as the P3 resembles a me-too kit car with a dowdy styling and motorcycle fenders that are significantly worse aerodynamically than having no fenders at all. If the car is to be successful, it has to have a sophisticated pizzazz and represent a new direction (as the Tesla has proven), be of top notch quality, embrace state-of-the-art handling suspension designs and aerodynamic configuration, and attract a buying public far beyond the ex-Harley crowd that seems to be about 40% of the current buyers. The Tesla is a cult car and rated at the top by every automotive institution. The Elio, if successful, will have a similar following, but a broader appeal being only 10% of the cost of a Tesla.

This all takes time and money. They don't quite have enough money to not be cash poor upon the first day of production and they would be foolish to start production without full funding. I'm confident that they will put the car in production in 2015 (maybe not 1st quarter). My biggest fear is the car is under priced with not enough profit to sustain Elio's expansion plans and future developments. $6800 is very cheap, too cheap. $8-9000 would still be an acceptable price and would provide enough profit margin to allow Elio to have a cash asset cushion. Car retail pricing has a lot to do with with creating a public image and perceived value. The Elio pricing is very close to the bone, but its perceived value is far greater. It's easy to predict that the Elio pricing will rise substantially once the actual costs of doing business are empirically calculated rather than prognostications.

golfsteve

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read that they won't start production untill the 1st year is sold out. Just what number is the 1st year production ?

Reaction score
I have read that they won't start production untill the 1st year is sold out. Just what number is the 1st year production ?
No, Steve. They are going to start making the elio asap and the goal start date is first quarter next year, maybe the last quarter of THIS YEAR! They will stop taking reservations when they reach the first year's production goals.

tenbsmith

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is all a moving target, but last I read...

EMI was projecting starting production by the end of 2014 and starting delivery the first quarter of 2015. Given the complexities, I figure there's a good chance that delivery will start later than that.

I agree with Quick. EMI has indicated that those who make reservations will get their cars in the first year.

I'm in no rush. I'd rather have them get everything right from an engineering and financial perspective. Multiple changes in delivery date is understandable but can be frustrating. EMI will need to be proactive in managing customers expectations. I think this is an area where they could do better. If you have a reservation, it would be nice if they emailed you about changes in projected start dates around the same time they are releasing that info to the media.

outtaget1

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
This is all a moving target, but last I read...

EMI was projecting starting production by the end of 2014 and starting delivery the first quarter of 2015. Given the complexities, I figure there's a good chance that delivery will start later than that.

I agree with Quick. EMI has indicated that those who make reservations will get their cars in the first year.

I'm in no rush. I'd rather have them get everything right from an engineering and financial perspective. Multiple changes in delivery date is understandable but can be frustrating. EMI will need to be proactive in managing customers expectations. I think this is an area where they could do better. If you have a reservation, it would be nice if they emailed you about changes in projected start dates around the same time they are releasing that info to the media.

We did sign up to a NO PROMISES deal.....
Go Elio
JS

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone other than the ELIO personal know how many" $1000 are in" folks there are? Having gone thru the Tucker era, I am aware of the tremendous problems associated with creating a vehicle from scratch, financing, plant, etc., but then again this concept , I have been told, was started back in 2010---now over 3 years in the making, so some if not most elements should be nailed down pretty well by now, and with the addition of 2014 , visible results soon are not unreasonable to expect! The fact that a complete prototype (including engine and drive train) is not available for testing (verified MPG ) yet, is a pressing problem needing attention ASAP. RB

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone other than the ELIO personal know how many" $1000 are in" folks there are? Having gone thru the Tucker era, I am aware of the tremendous problems associated with creating a vehicle from scratch, financing, plant, etc., but then again this concept , I have been told, was started back in 2010---now over 3 years in the making, so some if not most elements should be nailed down pretty well by now, and with the addition of 2014 , visible results soon are not unreasonable to expect! The fact that a complete prototype (including engine and drive train) is not available for testing (verified MPG ) yet, is a pressing problem needing attention ASAP. RB

Not sure exactly how many, but i did my all in $1000 2 weeks ago and my reservation # is 2638, so I would guess 2700 give or take a few.

Top Bottom