• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Minneapolis Mn 5/29-5/31

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have been driving an MR2 for years. I don't remember the exact figures now, but the Elio front track is 1" wider and it is 6" higher and longer. The only real difference is that the front width includes the fenders, so it will be less visible that way. But if I have had no problems with pickups backing into me with the MR2, I expect even less with the Elio.

Actually, cars of the MR2 size do currently disappear from my view when they come up close behind me. Usually this is at a stop but I am amazed how tight some idiots tailgate or try to pretend they are indy drivers and do the disappearing act as well.

When I'm stopped and I don't see things behind me I remain concerned that someday I'll need to back up to clear room for something and simply roll over one of those disappearing cars.

When I'm in my elio, I'm going to make it a concerted effort to make sure the driver in the vehicle in front of me can see me by either seeing the back of their head through their rear view window or that I can see there face in at least one of their mirrors. If I can't then I'm probably too close to them and they can't see me.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually, cars of the MR2 size do currently disappear from my view when they come up close behind me. Usually this is at a stop but I am amazed how tight some idiots tailgate or try to pretend they are indy drivers and do the disappearing act as well.

When I'm stopped and I don't see things behind me I remain concerned that someday I'll need to back up to clear room for something and simply roll over one of those disappearing cars.

When I'm in my elio, I'm going to make it a concerted effort to make sure the driver in the vehicle in front of me can see me by either seeing the back of their head through their rear view window or that I can see there face in at least one of their mirrors. If I can't then I'm probably too close to them and they can't see me.
Years ago, I almost got carjacked in Pittsburgh while stopped at a red light.
I almost hit the perp when I made an escape.
Evidently he was too busy trying to lurch out of the way to do any aiming and shooting.

Since then, I've always left myself an out of some sort or other.
I never, and I mean never, come to a stop so close to the vehicle in front of me that I can't pull out and at least go somewhere.

That's just one of a lot of good reasons to allow that margin.
What are really stupid are people who gets within inches of your back bumper on a steep upward incline.
A lot of people think of the whole world only in light of themselves, their own situation and their own experiences.
In other words, "I drive an automatic, what in the world would ever cause this person to accidently roll backward 6 inches?"

Last edited:

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Years ago, I almost got carjacked in Pittsburgh while stopped at a red light.
I almost hit the perp when I made an escape.
He was too busy trying to lurch out of the way to do any aiming and shooting.

Since then, I've always left myself an out of some sort or other.
I never, and I mean never, come to a stop so close to the vehicle in front of me that I can't pull out and at least go somewhere.
That's just one of a lot of good reasons to allow that margin.
What's really stupid is someone who gets within inches of your back bumper on a steep upward incline.
A lot of people think of the whole world only in light of themselves.
In other words, "I drive an automatic, why in the world would this person ever accidently roll backward 6 inches?"
This is what happened a few years ago in DC. A guy at a stop light started shooting at people in cars. They were all so packed in tight one to the other, there was no where for them to go. I always learned that at a minimum, you should be able to see the spot where the car in front of you's tires touch the pavement. That's a pretty comfortable distance, though sometimes, even that is too close.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is what happened a few years ago in DC. A guy at a stop light started shooting at people in cars. They were all so packed in tight one to the other, there was no where for them to go. I always learned that at a minimum, you should be able to see the spot where the car in front of you's tires touch the pavement. That's a pretty comfortable distance, though sometimes, even that is too close.
Comp,
We had an F0 tornado touch down in the sheetz parking lot on Rt 18 South of Hermitage PA Sunday afternoon May 31 2015.
30 years to the day of the largest outbreak in PA History. This one was without warning but didn't cause any serious injuries.

The F5 that went through 30 years ago crossed Rt 18 roughly 200 yards South of where this one touched down.
This one was on the ground for a mile. It tore a small part of the outer roof off the Sheetz.
It flipped a large pickup onto it's side in the parking lot and tore down about a hundred trees.
For a short distance, it followed the exact path of the big one.
30 years ago, patrons stepped out of the Hickory Grille (now Combine Brothers), directly across from Sheetz,
And watched the F5 cross Rt 18 a couple of hundred yards away. That was right after it had totally destroyed Wheatland.

There were also at least 3 separate tornados that went through the Pymatuning/Jamestown area that day!
That's Including the F4 that took out Atlantic and went all the way to Tionesta.
I went to see about friends in both Atlantic and Wheatland before that sun set that day.

Thought it was a very strange coincidence.
30 years ago this past Sunday: 90 killed, 60 in PA alone.
RIP.

Last edited:

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Comp,
We had an F0 tornado touch down in the sheetz parking lot on Rt 18 South of Hermitage PA Sunday afternoon May 31 2015.
30 years to the day of the largest outbreak in PA History. This one was without warning but didn't cause any serious injuries.

The F5 that went through 30 years ago crossed Rt 18 roughly 200 yards South of where this one touched down.
This one was on the ground for a mile. It tore a small part of the outer roof off the Sheetz.
It flipped a large pickup onto it's side in the parking lot and tore down about a hundred trees.
For a short distance, it followed the exact path of the big one.
30 years ago, patrons stepped out of the Hickory Grille (now Combine Brothers), directly across from Sheetz,
And watched the F5 cross Rt 18 a couple of hundred yards away. That was right after it had totally destroyed Wheatland.

There were at least 3 additional separate tornados that went through the Pymatuning/Jamestown area that day!
That's Including the F4 that took out Atlantic and went all the way to Tionesta.
I went to see about friends in both Atlantic and Wheatland before that sun set that day.

Thought it was a very strange coincidence.
30 years ago this past Sunday: 90 killed, 60 in PA alone.
RIP.
I remember this. I was working at Waldemere in Erie at a game booth. Tough day. I also eventually moved to a place on Pymatuning. I know the area well.

charchri4

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was there on Saturday as well and the reps told me the same as above. Still on track for production next year and the body is going to change some. They want to drop the drag coefficient and increase the head room a bit.

My over all impression was it's smaller on the outside than I thought it would be and bigger on the inside than I thought it would be. Fit and finish is crap as I expected in a prototype and easy to over look. I was glad to see an simple set up on how they attach the front fenders and it will be easy to swap them out for cool ones. I was hoping I could get a peek under the back skirt but no such luck. (I think it would be sweet to put a Miata 4 link rear subframe back there and make a 4 wheeler out of it but least I digress...) They said the auto trans option is going to be around 800 bucks which I thought was a tad high but no biggie. They said if an owner puts any sort of trailer hitch on that will void the warranty. Not much confidence there... I wonder how they feel about 4 wheels on the ground :)

Over all the car is AWESOME! But I drove 3 hours each way and seeing it just made me want to get one more so it probably did more harm than good to go see it...

Last edited:
Top Bottom