• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Kit Cars And Kit Trucks

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else here has ever built a kit car; I did a couple of the Cobras when those kits were popular; but I ran across these today.
I know a few people here have multiple cars an trucks that are older and in need of some TLC; so if you have an old full size pickup (Ford, Chevy or Dodge) and would like a project, try one of these:

Lil Big Rigs

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else here has ever built a kit car; I did a couple of the Cobras when those kits were popular; but I ran across these today.
I know a few people here have multiple cars an trucks that are older and in need of some TLC; so if you have an old full size pickup (Ford, Chevy or Dodge) and would like a project, try one of these:

Lil Big Rigs

Okay...That's pretty cool! ;)

I've been eyeballing this little dude from Factory Five Racing for better than a year. Might just pull the trigger on one once the new garage is finished.

http://www.factoryfive.com/kits/project-818/

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I GUESS YOU COULD CALL MY MESSERSCHMITT TG-500 A KIT .

THE BODY PANELS ARE FIBERGLASS . THE TUB IS A MODIFIED KR-200 UNIT .
THE DRIVETRAIN CAME FROM A 1971 HONDA z600 COUPE . 36 HORSES !

BRAKES ARE MG MIDGET IN THE FRONT AND BMW ISETTA 600 IN THE BACK .
THE WHEELS ARE MODIFIED ISETTA SPLIT RIMS

LOTS OF FABRICATION AND SPECIALLY MACHINED PARTS IN THIS CAR
I EVEN MADE MY OWN STAINLESS STEEL LUG NUTS .

IT IS TITLED AS A 1959 MESSERSCHMITT KR-200 . BUT THE TITLE SAYS
NOTHING ABOUT 3 OR 4 WHEELS .

DSC_1565.JPG

DSC_1566.JPG

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The one thing I found unusual in those Lil Big Rigs is that they specify diesel for power; only kit maker I've run across that requires diesel, almost all the others either go with the ever popular 350 Chevy (because there are a couple of million around) or the Dodge hemi's.

Those Factory Five cars are very cool; I like the 33 Hot Rod.
That VW Smyth conversion is something I could see myself driving (along with that discontinued R3F).:car:

David, I'm just jealous of that TG-500 being that it's the closest thing to an Elio I've ever seen.
Hmmm I wonder if Paul got his inspiration from one of those. :confused2:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Factory Five kits are nice but the ones from Superformance are better in almost every way. (sorry) I was going to buy a 427SC Cobra once upon a seemingly impossibly long time ago... Anyway, I went to a Superformance dealer. They had several there and they seemed VERY well put together. Even the area behind the driver's seat where the bodywork ends had no discernable edge. But what got me was the one they had up on a lift. The brake lines were retained at about 6 inch intervals and there were two going across that caught my eye because when they made a turn, the inside one was mandrel bent to 90 degrees but the outside one was bent to 45 degrees and then 45 degrees again to match up with the inside one. They were perfectly spaced. The attention that they put into such minute details won me over. Plus, they were a blast to drive!

http://www.superformance.com/default.aspx

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The Factory Five kits are nice but the ones from Superformance are better in almost every way. (sorry) I was going to buy a 427SC Cobra once upon a seemingly impossibly long time ago... Anyway, I went to a Superformance dealer. They had several there and they seemed VERY well put together. Even the area behind the driver's seat where the bodywork ends had no discernable edge. But what got me was the one they had up on a lift. The brake lines were retained at about 6 inch intervals and there were two going across that caught my eye because when they made a turn, the inside one was mandrel bent to 90 degrees but the outside one was bent to 45 degrees and then 45 degrees again to match up with the inside one. They were perfectly spaced. The attention that they put into such minute details won me over. Plus, they were a blast to drive!

http://www.superformance.com/default.aspx
Good looking kits; love that Daytona Coupe except for the rear fascia; a flat black plain panel? Surely they could have done something a little nicer.

I noticed no prices anywhere; any idea what they go for?

John-b-gone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Okay...That's pretty cool! ;)

I've been eyeballing this little dude from Factory Five Racing for better than a year. Might just pull the trigger on one once the new garage is finished.

http://www.factoryfive.com/kits/project-818/
May I suggest two things, building the convertible, and or taking up yoga. I worry by the time you finish the vehicle you won't be able to get in it, or worse yet get out. :D I found that true with my Fiber Fab avenger kit car.

Top Bottom