• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Couldn't Wait

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
....The big worry around here isn't Mt. Rainier, it's the 9.1 magnatude earthquake that is 50 years overdue. And if that ever happens, not only will most roads be impassible and power infrastructure knocked out, but most underground gasoline tanks will be ruptured as well. It will be a disaster unmatched in the developed world, and will almost certainly happen within the next 50 years. THIS is why I'm interested in moving further inland and becoming more self-sufficient (solar panels and all that). The Elio is part of that equation :)

IT is such a mind twister to consider these various natural calamities, like earthquakes, Catrina sized weather and others. They occur over large areas, or pinpoint with-in the same and to sort periods within a wide spread of time. The northwest is nearly covered in 30 to 90ft of pyroclastic material. How is that? Well, every 200 years or so something 'large' happens in the northwest. That would place about 50 events inside of 10,000 years. Imagine 50 events as big or bigger than Mt St. Helens.
With those events a small segment of the population suffers greatly. But the larger part is relatively unscathed. It's a tuff proposition to figure out how much you should do to secure your self. In hind sight, those 70 people that didn't leave the Mt ST. Helens really should have. The mud-flows afterward had a bigger effect on the population in general.
I think comparing that to what happened in Mexico city killing 25k people, and the tsunami that killed 200,000 shows it's very worth while to be aware and prepared. On the other hand these casualties are less than a drop in the bucket compared to a world of over 5billion.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IT is such a mind twister to consider these various natural calamities, like earthquakes, Catrina sized weather and others. They occur over large areas, or pinpoint with-in the same and to sort periods within a wide spread of time. The northwest is nearly covered in 30 to 90ft of pyroclastic material. How is that? Well, every 200 years or so something 'large' happens in the northwest. That would place about 50 events inside of 10,000 years. Imagine 50 events as big or bigger than Mt St. Helens.
With those events a small segment of the population suffers greatly. But the larger part is relatively unscathed. It's a tuff proposition to figure out how much you should do to secure your self. In hind sight, those 70 people that didn't leave the Mt ST. Helens really should have. The mud-flows afterward had a bigger effect on the population in general.
I think comparing that to what happened in Mexico city killing 25k people, and the tsunami that killed 200,000 shows it's very worth while to be aware and prepared. On the other hand these casualties are less than a drop in the bucket compared to a world of over 5billion.

Maybe we should all worry more about a major event at the Yellowstone Calder.
Or perhaps the other five know super volcanoes in the world, of which two more are in the western United States.
Katrina was the root cause of the damage in New Orleans, but the major flooding was caused by the failure of the levies.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Numbers mean little, unless it's you or someone you love, that's affected. I can't begin to wrap my head around 25k, or 200k killed my a natural event.
and 50 years is less than a blink in the grand scheme of things.
There will be no grid should a MAJOR calamity occur in the PNW. Hey but that's just me as I walk out the door and see Mt. Rainier!!

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The trouble is, if the power infrastructure was taken out by a massive earthquake, then the entire Western grid would be compromised. Even if the hydro dams and nuclear reactors weren't damaged, they wouldn't be able to deliver power to other parts of the grid.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Was it Stalin? who said the death of a dozen or so is a real tragedy but that the death of 2 million is but a statistic? I think he holds the record for causing the most deaths. Or is it rather Chairman Mao Zedong? All I know is they dwarf all other tragedies. As far as natural disasters that scare me the most, ok, maybe three that scare me the most are; Thankfully none have occurred in recorded History. In their scariest order first. 1. Yellowstone supper volcano. 2. a meteor strike. 3. Super Volcano that destroyed an entire civilized culture of the Minoans (more advanced than the Greeks) an estimated 4000 years ago.
Finally the two largest Volcanos in record history are nothing to sneeze at either. Krakatoa in 1883 and Mount Tambora in 1815.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The trouble is, if the power infrastructure was taken out by a massive earthquake, then the entire Western grid would be compromised. Even if the hydro dams and nuclear reactors weren't damaged, they wouldn't be able to deliver power to other parts of the grid.
Hope not, and let us all stay safe!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Gentlemen; I really can let this conversation continue in this line of thought.
I suggest you lean back towards the actual topic; or this is one that will have to end.
It's taking a very dead end track; just as it is starting to include past world leaders which can be seen as political.

I hope you understand.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How about a hydraulic cab sealing system as an Elio add on to block the effects of pyroclastic flow just long enough to kiss your "S" goodby. Right now I'm hoping for at least 10 seconds out of my system.

Reactions: KD

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And all this time I thought all Pacific NorthWesterners were already living off-grid! :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom