• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hobbies Of Elio Owners

seeker

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I like to tinker on a '95 Suzuki Swift. It's just an extra car so it's nice being able to tear it apart and not have to worry about getting it back together by Sunday night.

I also like playing video games.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It aught strike curiosity in us all as to what in the world was a full blooded Cherokee Indian doing bed ridden on street named Standridge in a poor section of Memphis Tennessee in 1975?
I'll not continue this story unless someone specifically asks.

Critter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would like to hear the story. Love history. Refering to the trail of tears, There was an arranged marriage with an 11 year old cherokee girl, the Chief's daughter, and a 12 year old boy. So the girl would not have to walk the trail of tears. She did not speak any english and he spoke english and German. Was a nice find while researching my history .

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK!! I'm asking. Tell the story!!
The Cherokee story runs wide and deep and is so much different than most other Indians as to warrant a curiosity in and of itself, the Cherokee history that is.
I'll not be venturing too much there for the sake of brevity. It will be about this one particular Indian that I can't to this day remember his name. As soon as a find a moment:

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Cherokee story runs wide and deep and is so much different than most other Indians as to warrant a curiosity in and of itself, the Cherokee history that is.
I'll not be venturing too much there for the sake of brevity. It will be about this one particular Indian that I can't to this day remember his name. As soon as a find a moment:
Definately interested. Born in Oklahoma and grew up there after middle school age (after coming home from living in Libya). I went to college in Tahlequah - the Cherokee capital. The street signs there are in English and Cherokee, very cool. The trail of tears is a fascinating, yet horrifying tail.

ncarter124

Elio Addict
Reaction score
. My 1979 Triumph Spitfire is also temporarily in the shop as we are removing the carburetor to have it rebuilt as it is not running very reliably at the moment.
I've got a '78 Spitfire. :)

As for hobbies, I play video games, working on restoring my Spitfire, have a Harley I ride on occasion, mountain biking, and I used to golf but haven't been on the links in years.

ncarter124

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Funny you would mention these cars being a lot of work and learning a lot from owning one as that was actually the reason I came to own the Spitfire. This was actually the first car I owned and it has been with me for 20 years now. It was a gift from my father for my 15th birthday intended to teach me what it really takes to make a car run. He paid only $300 for it as even though it was in fairly good overall condition it did not run. It became my task to have it running and looking nice before my 16th birthday as this is when I was legally able to receive my full drivers license and drive on my own. He likely ended up paying more for parts and such than he envisioned however working so much on this car definitely made me appreciate it much more while learning a heck of a lot about cars.

Of course since then there have been many ups and downs and a heck of a lot more maintenance just to keep the thing on the road. There are also a whole host of very funny stories involving various places I ended up visiting and people I have met while being stranded or having to repair the car on the side of the road. :)

Great story! I got mine when I was 19 (1999).

When I was 7 years old I remember walking out of the store with my Dad, as we crossed the parking lot I see this bright red sports car coming toward us... I was in love. Granted, I was 7 so the Spitfire could have been a Ferrari, I didn't know the difference. It pulls up and the guy gets out of the car, it turns out it's a friend of my Dads! So as they talked I walked around the car just dreaming of how cool it would be to have something like that when I was older.

Fast forward to 1999, I am at my aunts funeral when the family friend goes "Hey, I know this isn't the best time, but I wanted to talk to you while I had the chance... do you remember that Spitfire?"
Of course I did... like it was yesterday. It turns out he had bought a new Harley and it was sitting in his garage under a cover with nobody to drive it.

It had 62k original miles and I became the 3rd owner at 19 years old for $2500. That car means the world to me and I will never sell it. The same as yours I'm sure.

Funny you mention the carburetor issues, I am in the middle of putting a Weber DGV on mine as I had the same issue.

Top Bottom