• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Motors @ New York Auto Show 2015

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Instead of getting into large and/or confusing dollar amounts I wish EM would emphasize that what they need now is $30 million from the current round of funding to get all the vehicle testing completed and have a fully developed production ready product. $30 million is the important number at this time with the larger number needed for production being a future goal.
Is it possible to "like" a post 2 or 3 times? Nail on the head, bro.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Paul, bless his heart, in an engineering manager and social visionary. He is not good at presenting just the chunks of information people need at the moment; he definitely isn't the sound-bite sort. In some ways that's great, but it does lead him into the forest of details when he should keep his answers more direct and simple. If I were coaching him on presentation skills and press conferences (which are tasks I have had in the past for high-level engineering managers) I'd have just a few pieces of advice for him to practice.

1. Do not make jokes at a press conference. You run horrible risks with them for very little gain.
2. Speak in short sentences -- do not spin out facts and idea like a spider building a nest. The press won't follow all that, and you'll be misunderstood or misquoted.
3. Answer the question you want to answer, not the question the reporter asks. That's how you keep control. It may aggravate some reporters but keeps you out of hot water -- and the lazy reporters (many of them) will be grateful for whatever you do say.
4. Stay warm and human and committed and vulnerable. You can do that, because that's what you are, without going all aw-shucks.

This advice is easier said than followed. Paul feels accountable to his audience, and wants to give them plenty of detail so they can understand and make up their minds. Laudable feeling, great for engineering problem-solving meetings, but bad for press conferences.

As I've said before, Paul's passion and commitment carry the day. But he does need to speak more clearly, briefly, and directly.

Last edited:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have to keep reminding myself PE is not appealing to the type of people who will be buying from the stores. He is appealing to two types of people.

Rick takers like motorcycle riders who are the ones incline to make reservations.
Investors.

I keep finding myself thinking PE should have a slick presentation as in advertising, but that would be a mistake.
I believe his basic approach is correct but he could use some coaching.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
goofyone said:
Instead of getting into large and/or confusing dollar amounts I wish EM would emphasize that what they need now is $30 million from the current round of funding to get all the vehicle testing completed and have a fully developed production ready product. $30 million is the important number at this time with the larger number needed for production being a future goal.

Is it possible to "like" a post 2 or 3 times? Nail on the head, bro.
upload_2015-4-3_20-57-43.jpeg

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
and
I am certain he meant that by the time they start production, the first year's output of 250,000 cars will have been ordered. While that's going on, they will have the revenue to get the stores operating.

Paul is going to have to delegate some of this. No way round it, the company is going to have to hire senior people and a host of associates. But none of that can happen til there's enough money to get into production.
I still think it's a definite possibility that he meant exactly that.
Regardless, no matter what he MEANT, people are going to stop at what he SAID.
That's the problem.

Also, regarding the "money needed" issue...
PE, at one time, himself stated that the equipment in Louisiana is projected to only net EM 30 million after it's sold and leins are paid.
When did this jump back up to the entire estimated "worth" of the equipment?
Yes, I recall that PE and EM (among others) have stated that the equipment is worth 100 million+.
However, they and most everyone else know that things are only really worth what you can get for them.

Again, why should individuals (providing they have the incentive or inclination) have to decypher what Paul MEANS vs what Paul SAYS.

I've never seen EM's transparency as an issue.
The clarity and thoroughness in delivery of information may be an issue EM needs to address.

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rick takers like motorcycle riders who are the ones incline to make reservations.
ROTFLMAO.
Really???
I'm taking home $17K a year here, but making every cent of it sweat like a dog. ;)

Oh, wait a minute, you meant risk takers instead of rich takers?
Yeah, ok, I can agree with that.
Still funny though. :D

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The laws may change in 60 days making it easier for EM to raise money. However, 60 is the first of June. Is there still going to be enough time to raise the money, do all the work and still make it into production in time? There is so much that still needs to be done.

EM is actually much further along in this project than most people may realize. EM has completed the vehicle engineering, have a running IAV engine in testing, have their suppliers lined up, have a plant site, and have laid out the plant layout, equipment, and tooling needs with Comau. With these basics covered if EM had the money today, either completely in hand or committed, then as long as there are not any show stopping issues encountered along the way EM could be in production in about six months as vehicle testing can happen concurrently with the plant being set up.

In some ways this relatively short time period for actual physical work is what makes it harder for us to predict when production will happen as the production timeline is almost entirely dictated by funding which makes it nearly impossible to predict with any certainty. An interested investor with deep pockets, well funded group of investors, and/or the government ATVM program could show up at any time and completely change EM's production outlook.

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Just to clarify things a bit EM is not abandoning the current ongoing 506(C) fundraising process to raise $30 million as Paul Elio mentioned this specifically in the press conference. EM is actually expanding that offering with the addition of a new brokerage firm providing more services. EM is also apparently preparing to expand their fundraising effort to take advantage of the new equity crowdfunding option for both accredited and non-accredited investors which is becoming available thanks to the new SEC rules taking effect in June.

I am just taking a stab in the dark here however my guess is that when the general equity crowdfunding option becomes available we will see an offer for reservation holders to prepay for their vehicles in the form of an investment in the company. EM needs the money now to push the project forward so what they are likely hoping is that as it becomes more widely apparent that this project will succeed then it will be easier to find further investors for production and/or receive ATVM loan. EM would use future funding to actually cover the cost of building the vehicles they are promising to investors who prepay for their vehicle early. I do not know what incentive EM would give investors who prepay, locking in the $6800 price?, however remember that from the EM plans we have seen the actual cost (including corporate and plant overhead, parts, and labor) of building the vehicle is only about 60% of the retail cost of the vehicle with the rest going towards profit margin and costs beyond actually building the vehicle so EM does have some wiggle room in there.

For those wondering about the new SEC rules regarding equity crowdfunding as investments this article does a pretty good job explaining what is happening: http://www.forbes.com/sites/chanceb...s-equity-crowdfunding-with-jobs-act-title-iv/

Last edited:
Top Bottom