• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Distribution And Direct Sales

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
International Sales - I know US production comes 1st and foremost.

But get this - some people overseas are watching this carefully. Some potential interested parties overseas are seething to get their hands on a Elio and willing to open their pocketbooks wide and make offers. So lets say hypathetically its not the Elio as its no in production yet. Lets say someone overseas really likes the Hybrid Cadillac Escalade - but cannot get it in their respective country. (I use this example because when I was in Roatan Honduras - an owner of a resort had an Escalade he ordered in from the states as they do not sell them in Honduras or Roatan). But whats to stop someone say taking delivery of his/her Elio and selling it to a individual overseas for $10k or $15k US and working with the individual to ship it. I would assume nothing would stop them except the laws in the country of their residence if the 3 wheel vehicle can meet that countries requirements... Does my question make sense?

I have heard from a guy from Doctor in Brazil who says he is wanting to buy one off a person holding a reservation once they take deliver and will fly in, test drive and make a large $$$ to be own one assuming he just wants to be trendy and have the 1st. I just dont know what the legal ramifications of that sort of sale are. Oh and not I would even consider that at the moment its just a question hehe

Thanks

Why go thru the trouble of selling it overseas- especially for 10k??, I believe you'll be able to get a premium price right here for the first six months as folks with deep and not so pockets "gotta have it" My prediction- within a few weeks after deliveries you'll see EBAY posts selling the car, how many folks who have gone all in to buy more than one will try and sell the first one at a premium and use the profit to off-set the costs of the next. I know a reservist very well, who plans to do just that -all in 1k on the first and $100.00 on the second (me) If I can;t sell the first for some big extra $, keep it, and either sell the "rights" to the second,( yes I'm aware of transferring ownership,-I I buy it outright, turn around and sell it without even registering it) or if not wait for a refund on the second, No downside for me except waiting for the second (6-9 months?) If I thought of this, with all my limitations, so have many others ( that's why ELIO has the restrictions on purchasing), and people say that they're buying one for each of their 3 kids!! sure!

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My bet is this would be illegal. That being said, is it illegal to sell to a person from a foreign country? Or is it illegal for the foreigner to buy from someone here? That I'm not sure about. Or I may be all wrong. @wheaters may be able to offer some insight.
Times change and laws change, but I know of two people who got their start buying and then shipping used Harley Davidson motorcycles overseas.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Shipping Elios overseas legally and paying all export/import duties through proper channels should not be a problem. Smuggling Elio's overseas not so much. LOL

The key is that the buyer is able to license and legally drive the Elio in their county.......or it would be a collector vehicle setting in a garage somewhere overseas. Motorcycles much less restrictive than cars in most countries.

Top Bottom