• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Deer Hunting

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
been there .... done that .... twice :confused:

the rut is kicking in around here and deer are on the move .... vehicle/deer collisions are a major concern in our area

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No. There is more to the story...
The deer went up over the hood and windshield and off the back. Amazing that the windshield was not cracked. The deer landed in the center left turn lane and then someone making a left turn drove over it. How can someone not see a deer in their lane?

Texting their friends about the deer they just saw get hit? :noidea:
:D

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
been there .... done that .... twice :confused:

the rut is kicking in around here and deer are on the move .... vehicle/deer collisions are a major concern in our area

Got that right, Jim! That hill [Antire] that you and Jay took up to Jay Henge's is absolutely LOADED with deer on both sides of the highway. Probably a dozen or so 'splattered' along that mile stretch of road already.

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Got that right, Jim! That hill [Antire] that you and Jay took up to Jay Henge's is absolutely LOADED with deer on both sides of the highway. Probably a dozen or so 'splattered' along that mile stretch of road already.

Deer are moving in Missouri too. I had one on the front lawn yesterday. I live in a residential sub-division

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Friends used to trailer their touring bike up to the Texas Hill Country NW of Austin TX (the ride from Houston being an absolute bore) where they'd unload and ride the beautiful Highland Lakes area. About this time of year on a winding road (FM 2769) down to Volente on Lake Travis, they encountered a spike buck who was determined to cross the narrow 2-lane directly in front of them. The deer was in mid-leap when the man caught the little guy who had managed to poke his head between the man's right arm and the tank, but didn't quite knock the bike and now three passengers down. With his wife screaming from the back seat, he managed to hold on until he got the bike stopped . . . but now what do you do?

He had a tiger by the tail, with the little guy's sharp horns twisting back and forth as he attempted to escape the headlock my friend had on him. After a few seconds of this, in desperation he simply threw the spike away from him, hoping not to be gored in the process. As the buck staggered backwards he quickly gained his footing and executed a neat jump over the bike and disappeared into the woods at the edge of the road none the worse for wear. He probably wasn't nearly as shaken as my friends who thought for years they'd dodged a very large bullet.

Of course there are things out there a few sizes larger than deer . . . and they demand the right of way . . .

80-2924trafficelk1_5ebdacf75b622a17ab89ad846b96f676fbddb8cd.jpg

Elk Crossing, Hwy 101 North of Klamath, CA

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had the honor of tagging my first one last week at 3 in the morning on IH-35. I was only doing 65 in the slow lane, saw it looking my way, I slowed a little bit as I went for the middle lane. It still managed to jump on out to bust out my headlight and turn signal, but there was no fur, no blood left behind. Pretty sure it had one of those WTF moments and a little sore the next day.

Got a complete set of lights (both sides) on Amazon for $58, so all in all, got a story to tell, and will now be able to see better with clear lenses. Maybe a lose/win situation?

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Deer hunting season opened on Saturday. By Monday evening my wife had her deer. Unfortunately, hunting in city limits is not allowed so she used my car to get her deer on Main Street in south Logan. No insurance, car totaled unless we can find a cheap hood and fender and even then it would be marginal since I have been trying to sell it for $1500.
I had to buy another car this week too. Was hoping my Volvo would last until my Rocket Silver Elio arrived. No such luck. Had to spend half of a new Elio for a replacement. Go Elio.

Last edited:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hate to break it to you, but deer whistles don't work.

Considering she hasn't hit a deer in any car that has had them, I'd say they must do something. The sound bugs the heck out of me though, so I don't have them on my car (and because I don't live in a high-deer zone like my parents do).

Maybe the local deer population are used to the sound, and then they are like "Oh, don't go near that sound. Your aunt Janey got hit by a Buick that sounded like that."

Top Bottom