• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Crash Testing?

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I looked at the P4 construction photos and I do not see any side impact protection built onto the frame on the right side. I also don't see any built into the door. Anyone have any further input into this?
Nice to know we have someone from M.I.T as a member.:rolleyes:

evboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why does it matter if the government crash tests this thing. The Insurance Institute also crash cars, so they can set rates. Cant elio just pay them to test it, and get a honest review of how well it does.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why does it matter if the government crash tests this thing. The Insurance Institute also crash cars, so they can set rates. Cant elio just pay them to test it, and get a honest review of how well it does.
The government will not be doing the testing. It is done by non-affiliated companies that perform the crash tests so ratings can be assigned. In order for the testing to be considered unbiased they must be independent companies. :-) Z

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, EVBoy was talking more about who ordered, paid for and uses the test results. But from a gov standpoint no external source is allowed to order or influence a test or test schedule.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

I think IIHS will likely decide to test the vehicle however they always do so independently and just buy cars off the lot for a real world representative sample. They do this to insure the impartiality of their tests as it best serves the insurance companies that fund the IIHS to get data that is as impartial as possible so they can make reliable actuarial decisions.

The government likely won't test these vehicles, and even if they do it would not be until after they are in production, so if Elio Motors wants to verify and advertise exactly how safe this vehicle is before production their only option is to do what the major automaker do which is to have these vehicles crash tested to NHTSA safety standards at a independent government certified crash test facility.

evboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
will they be able to advertise what those results are, or do they have to wait for someone to buy it off the line.

Top Bottom