• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Columbus, Ohio

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I am so not liking the idea of the elio being a car. I like the HOV lanes and the less expensive auto insurance. I've seen nothing anywhere else that this change is in the works.

Not to worry as the car thing is not as bad as it sounds. Elio Motors is not trying to change their general federal government classification but instead they are only trying to change their classification in just one specific government program.

Each car manufacturer is supposed to meet a standard for average fuel efficiency in their cars and if they do not meet these they must pay a penalty. Car companies that exceed the standard can sell their excess credits to other automakers. As the Elio is so fuel efficient they would generate a lot of excess credits they could sell to companies if only the vehicle was classified as a car. Elio's solution this issue is to try and have their vehicle classified as a car solely for the purposes of this specific federal program.

If Elio Motors succeeds in having this law amended to include their vehicle it could potentially bring in more money than they would make selling the actual Elio vehicles. An interesting fact is that Tesla Motors is already generating a lot of income from similar arrangements.

This information was discussed in this thread: http://www.elioowners.com/threads/caddo-parish-commission-may-20th-2014-meeting-minutes.1537/

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am so not liking the idea of the elio being a car. I like the HOV lanes and the less expensive auto insurance. I've seen nothing anywhere else that this change is in the works.
It would mean an extra $600 mil on top of annual sales. :)
Annual operating cost to Toyota is around $200 mil.

Looking good for this weekend in Columbus.

Reaction score
I count including Alex P. 5 elio enthusiasts live near or in Columbus Area. Hello GolfSteve. I haven't seen you on site for a long time. I hope you and Alex P will join us at our first sit-down dinner meeting, Saturday May 31st, 7PM, at the Twinsburg's Cracker Barrel, 2371 East Aurora Road St Route 82 and I-480. Please RSVP. LillyMay

WOW ! This is old news. My count now is 26 Elio Enthusiasts in the Columbus Area ! And I am sure there is a lot more coming with the two showings there is past week. I'm so tired out today. I even postponed my grandma day till Wednesday - Thursday. It was well worth the trip and I had such a great time. To think Danny and his friend drove over 4 hours from Illinois. I posted three sets of pictures on my facebook page (Lilly May Patterson) of the crowd. I don't take good pictures at all. Case in point the husband and I took over 100 pictures of our self's this afternoon trying to get the color of our eyes to show up for passport pictures. What a PITA. We both settled on pictures of two old drunks and we're going to send them in. We don't know who they are. The two of us weren't drinking.

Reaction score
Hi golfsteve. It is June 21 and according the member list, your birthday. Are you getting to see the Elio to celebrate? I sure hope so. Happy Birthday! :) Z

Yeah, Steve Happy Belated Birthday. It was great to meet you yesterday. Duane, Jane, Buddy, Danny and his friend, Mike, and all the people I met for the first time. AND SAM ! The gal in charge of the Social Media for Elio. Now she is special. Sheldron, who is in charge of government affairs. Jane check out my page cause I got some nice pictures of you. Calling it an early night tonight. Good Night Fellow Dreamers.

Top Bottom