• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Boat Towing

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Once the front wheels are off the ground, I don't see where towing it would be any type of problem.
Just get one of these and you're all set.
View attachment 8019

our reality is, if/when have a reason to take our Elio far from home, we most likely will not drive it .... a lack of trunk/storage space and uncertainty over the quality of the ride will most likely result in towing it behind our Chevy pickup .... if it is designed to be flat towed (like a behind a motorhome), we will most like flat tow it .... a tow dolly would be our second choice

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How hard would it be to make a disconnect in the shaft that is exposed beside each front wheel? Something that could be slid in and out like a power shaft on equipment.
The best disconnect is already there...put it in neutral. :boink:
But seriously, since EM has said there will be "tabs" added to the frame for flat towing, I am sure they will have specific instructions for "flat towing." :yo:

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No reason to disconnect the halfshafts AH. When being towed with the transmission in neutral the halfshafts are only turning the differential and transmission output shaft which get the same lubrication as when being driven. There may be some problems encountered when towing the Elio but this won't be one of them.

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since towing anything behind the Elio will void the warranty then it's a moot point for me. Those that choose to do so will have to assume the risks involved and the liability. As far as towing the Elio behind another vehicle, I can see the the RV crowd wanting to do so. Putting the whole vehicle on a flat bed trailer would probably be the safest. Putting it on a dolly might put extra weight and wear and tear on the rear tire. Also the fender skirts may interfere with the dolly. It will be interesting to see the creativity and hear the stories of those that decide to tow a trailer with their Elios.

Critter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Slingshot is towing a small trailer in Lenoir city

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 252
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 236
Top Bottom