• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Birmingham Al, October 24-26, 2014

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing. It would have been nice to have some names to go with the pictures, though. I recognize goofyone and Jerome, of course. We have seen many pictures of the Elio so seeing people we "talk to" almost daily is wonderful. BTW Send us some of that sunshine. We are getting totally dumped on with rain. Lots and lots of rain. I won't be surprise if the day is some kind of record. :) Z

DSC00008_zps5f07b26f.jpg

From L to R:

Dustoff, goofyone, HHH, David King

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Surprise, surprise, everyone chose to wear the ElioOwners.Com shirts rather than the assorted Elio shirts that came with our reservations. Great job Steve in providing a very recognizable and consistent Elio image.

Last edited:

Geordie97

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few things I learned in Birmingham for all Elioowners everywhere:
1. I approached Jerome Vassallo with our idea of springing for lunch. He advised me to ask his wife Pam, as he defers to her on these decisions. She said no one had EVER offered this anywhere. She said the crew had been reduced to eating pizza the day before for all three meals. I secured takeout menus from four surrounding restaurants, and presented them. She quickly chose one menu for everyone. In time she shared it with all the staff (total of six), and she circled their selections. She wouldn't allow us to pay for the meals, but was very grateful that we would pick them up and bring them back. No reason we can't help out this way at all future road show mall events.

2. I mentioned to Jerome that I hadn't heard much about the credit card program for paying off the purchase price with gasoline purchases. Here's the update - they've found a bank they want to work with on the program. The credit card would also have a minimum monthly payment, so those not driving much will get their cars paid off. They are also looking into a simple savings program where you could deposit money into a bank savings account each month towards your Elio (like a Christmas Club account), thus increasing your down payment, and reducing the balance on the credit card. Also, your money stays in your name, not in Elio's.

3. I asked him about a trailer hitch, since there seems to be so much interest in this subject. He said he doesn't want to sell a hitch due to government regulations. He explained that those people towing large trailers with brakes would necessitate the traction control to be deactivated, as one example. They are going to follow the approach of the motorcycle manufacturers, by not promoting their use, and leaving it up to the consumer in the aftermarket. So it follows that they will not be in the Elio stores.

4. He said the products in, and options on, the Elio would have the names of the supplier manufacturer, rather than "Elio." The example he used was the IAV engine.

5. He said a bicycle rack would be available as an option. Referring to the preceding point, I infer that this would mean that it would not be branded "Elio" or "Elio Approved."

6. He's now telling people that production will begin in the fourth quarter next year. Remember this could mean nothing more than one day after September 30th. To keep a little perspective, Elon Musk previously made the announcement that the Tesla X car introduction was being "slightly delayed" from 2014 to 2015!

7. Another EM staffer told me that the question of whether the rear tire will be same size or different from the front two has not been finalized. He also said this was the biggest turnout of Elioowners that they have seen (there's a good reason to get one of the shirts; plus they are a great value at only $10).

8. The completed IAV engine will be fired up on November 15.

9. A power seat will be an option.

10. Now, don't get overly enthusiastic about this last one, but Jerome did say that he does look at the forums, and typically looks at ours before going to bed.

On a personal note, this was my first non-virtual experience with the vehicle, the crew, and other elioowners and believers. It couldn't have been better. Two couples in line each had wives saying they wanted to see and sit in the car before committing to any payments. Elio had a setup so that you could commit right there. When I glanced at it, it showed 36,136 orders.

And lastly, I take responsibility for anyone misquoted, and apologize forthwith.

In reference to #3 above, in all the years that we rode motorcycles, I don't recall any production trailer models that came with brakes. Some people added them aftermarket but they are considered dangerous when used with a motorcycle so most people stopped installing them. That said, when I looked underneath (I would love to have gotten a photo but it was almost impossible with my camera), it's going to be tricky to put a hitch on the Elio. Maybe if they go with a narrower tire but the majority of the receiver and arms will probably have to be on the outside of the rear fender.

There is currently a power seat in the tour Elio (they said someone broke the original seat) but it moves very slowly and in my opinion wouldn't be worth the money or weight. You have to move the seat all the way forward for the rear passenger to get in or out. Maybe if they put a quick release to allow it to be manually moved for rear seat entry/exit but that kind of defeats the purpose of the power seat.

I asked about a P5 and was told "there may not be a P5".

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In reference to #3 above, in all the years that we rode motorcycles, I don't recall any production trailer models that came with brakes. Some people added them aftermarket but they are considered dangerous when used with a motorcycle so most people stopped installing them. That said, when I looked underneath (I would love to have gotten a photo but it was almost impossible with my camera), it's going to be tricky to put a hitch on the Elio. Maybe if they go with a narrower tire but the majority of the receiver and arms will probably have to be on the outside of the rear fender.

There is currently a power seat in the tour Elio (they said someone broke the original seat) but it moves very slowly and in my opinion wouldn't be worth the money or weight. You have to move the seat all the way forward for the rear passenger to get in or out. Maybe if they put a quick release to allow it to be manually moved for rear seat entry/exit but that kind of defeats the purpose of the power seat.

Thanks for that information, especially about the seat, Geordie97. I can see how the manual seat they had in the P4 didn't last through the thousands of butts getting in and out. That poor vehicle is going to rate retiring as a statue so it never has to move again when they get done with it.

I love the way they keep us guessing with the P5 no P5 statements. Just think how boring life will be when we have nothing Elio to speculate about. :p :rolleyes: :) Z

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Didn't think to ask you guys to ask Jerome, but did anybody notice if there's an inner fender on the rear? Or will the plastic bits take the brunt of the debris kicked up by the back tire. Seems like something that traveled with the back tire/wheel assy. might keep that area from getting damaged (somewhat). Heck, if made right, it could keep snow/ice from building up in there too. :)

Edward43

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It was a good day. The Elio was cool.
Thank you all for the feedback. Glad to hear that EM is trying to accommodate add-ons, and I am also pleased that they are not encouraging the towing. It should definitely be an individual decision. I have driven almost every combination there is and this could get very squirrely,,,a helpless situation ensues. Definitely looking to Sema announcements.

rdoearth

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Didn't think to ask you guys to ask Jerome, but did anybody notice if there's an inner fender on the rear? Or will the plastic bits take the brunt of the debris kicked up by the back tire. Seems like something that traveled with the back tire/wheel assy. might keep that area from getting damaged (somewhat). Heck, if made right, it could keep snow/ice from building up in there too. :)

That's a good question I never considered.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's a good question I never considered.

I'm thinking of something like this...wouldn't need to be diamond plate, but definitely aluminum for weight reasons, and the coverage/protection it would give to the rear frame and gas tank (if exposed). No big deal to TIG on some brackets for mounting it to the swing arm. Going to add this to the list of 'possible' mods.
aluminumfender.jpg

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Also in referense to #3,
I asked Jerome about the trailer hitch. He showed me where the frame/roll cage Bow came accross the back and the two down/support struts were and said there Would be enough room for a hitch But that they did not reccomend it nor would supply one. The after market people would make one if you were so inclined, witch I Am.

Top Bottom