• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

As I See It, Gloves Off...

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I've been "all in" for about 2 months now, so some of you might think that isn't very long and I shouldn't have a right to complain. Well, nuts to that! I've been watching Elio for about 2 years and besides, my grand is as green as anyones. That said...

Like me, I guess most of you get an email from Elio every day or two. At first I found them interesting, but it didn't take long to realize that basically they don't really say anything. It's the same old tired hype with the same old bubbly catch phrases and same old giddy cheerleading every time.

They've raised a pile of cash. Not enough to go into production maybe, but surely enough to finally build something besides one-off prototypes. How much does it cost to build 25 cars? Of course it's more expensive than with the assembly line, but if it cost even $40,000 per car they could still do it for one million and that's a drop in the bucket compared to what they've raised.

Enough already! How about sending us an email with pictures of a bunch of guys with wrenches and screwdrivers sticking parts together. It's time to stop talking and build something!

Agreed, you have a right to complain. I've gone through periods of severe frustration and lack of confidence that the Elio will make it to production.

If the emails from Elio frustrate you, I'd suggest blocking them or unsubscribe. Problem solved.

I followed Elio Motors on Facebook for a long time, and was a member of one of the groups on FB. I've unfollowed both. Enhances my life enormously, to not read and see all of that nonsense.

For the frustration of slowness on building the P5 - P30, we've heard the statements of several hundred thousand bucks to build the P4. Should the P5 be cheaper to build? Well, some of us would say "yes", some would say "no". The transmission from Aisin and the engine are both going to be expensive in the P5. My thought is that it will cost six figures to build the P5, and I'm basing my guess on information from this forum. Otherwise I have no idea.

There are a couple of people on this forum that have worked on a car assembly line, and they have given their experience which might answer why we haven't seen pictures of guys with wrenches and screwdrivers putting things together. It could be non-disclosure agreements... it could be a simple desire to not show things to competitors.

We do know that Elio Motors started working on the P5 in June. Paul Elio stated that it would take about 20 weeks to do the P5. That's where we are for now. :frusty: :becky:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agreed, you have a right to complain. I've gone through periods of severe frustration and lack of confidence that the Elio will make it to production.

If the emails from Elio frustrate you, I'd suggest blocking them or unsubscribe. Problem solved.

I followed Elio Motors on Facebook for a long time, and was a member of one of the groups on FB. I've unfollowed both. Enhances my life enormously, to not read and see all of that nonsense.

For the frustration of slowness on building the P5 - P30, we've heard the statements of several hundred thousand bucks to build the P4. Should the P5 be cheaper to build? Well, some of us would say "yes", some would say "no". The transmission from Aisin and the engine are both going to be expensive in the P5. My thought is that it will cost six figures to build the P5, and I'm basing my guess on information from this forum. Otherwise I have no idea.

There are a couple of people on this forum that have worked on a car assembly line, and they have given their experience which might answer why we haven't seen pictures of guys with wrenches and screwdrivers putting things together. It could be non-disclosure agreements... it could be a simple desire to not show things to competitors.

We do know that Elio Motors started working on the P5 in June. Paul Elio stated that it would take about 20 weeks to do the P5. That's where we are for now. :frusty: :becky:

From July 2 Reddit AMA
PaulElioMotors[S] 5 points 10 days ago
P4 took us 20 weeks. Which was very quick. I am confident that P5 will be complete in less time than that.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, as they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so nothing wrong with complaints being heard. If we were all quiet and waiting patiently there would be no hurry or push would there?
So I say squeak away, let Elio hear you, its better than sitting quietly by waiting for the next 'news' on progress. Keep pushing them.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, as they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, so nothing wrong with complaints being heard. If we were all quiet and waiting patiently there would be no hurry or push would there?
So I say squeak away, let Elio hear you, its better than sitting quietly by waiting for the next 'news' on progress. Keep pushing them.

Hey Hog, it's a hot day, you're on a long trip, the kids are cranky, the DVD player isn't working, you have a splitting headache, and all you hear is .........
Are we there yet........... Are we there yet........... Are we there yet........... Are we there yet........... Are we there yet........... waaaah!
How helpful is that?

Last edited:

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Frustration, yes. Doubt in the outcome, yes. Tired of "fluff", yes. Buyer's remorse, yes. "Justified" complaining, yes. It's good to be able to tell how you're feeling but it's also important to put this whole experience in context. You have to remember that this is a start up car company. Not just a start up company, a start up car company. Also remember, it's the first time PE and company have tackled a project like this. They have done an incredible job, as first timers and continue to push forward. We all want our Elios sooner than later, but the truth of the matter is that as pretty doggone sure that I am of success, Failure is still an option. So, welcome to the club of those that have had their doubts, are tired of not as much information as I would like, sometimes wondering what I am doing putting money towards something that doesn't exist. It's for a purpose (aside from getting a really cool car), to give a reasonably priced car for everyone and lower the consumption of oil. So put on your big boy pants, buckle in and enjoy the ride! It could get bumpy.

Top Bottom