• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Arcimoto

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Really? You can't just put a giant, old-fasioned "steering-wheel shaped handlebar" on it? Like old cars had, or big rigs.

Or maybe something like an airplane's flight yoke, so that you have more leg room? It would still steer like a handlebar'd bike, but would technically have a steering wheel! :p
Damn good point! One that I think we all overlooked.
All handlebars that I'm familiar with still pivot from a fixed point!
One reason may be that it was easier and cheaper to use off-the-shelf MC handlebars and their controls...
Than to develop or buy a "steering wheel" or yoke configuration with all the built-in controls that the bars already have.

I think at one time Eric said that, because of the much smaller shaft turning radius...
A steering wheel would not give you the proper feel and, therefore, the proper control and accuracy...
He once said something along the lines that most operators would have a tendency to over and under steer.
Think having a steering wheel in your car with a 6-inch diameter. Safety might have been the prime issue here.

Even a practical sized yoke might not give enough feedback to match that of the bars...
Though a yoke might help the Arcimoto achieve the autocycle designation with all it's perks.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with the handlebar steering. The test riders all seem to like it with a great view and visibility from the seat. Note the rear view mirror off to the side.

image.jpeg

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with the handlebar steering. The test riders all seem to like it with a great view and visibility from the seat. Note the rear view mirror off to the side.

View attachment 10764

No problem with it at all; we were just speculating on how to get the SRK shoehorned into the Autocycle classification, for us folks who don't want to get the motorcycle endorsement for a vehicle that doesn't drive anything like a motorcycle.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No problem with it at all; we were just speculating on how to get the SRK shoehorned into the Autocycle classification, for us folks who don't want to get the motorcycle endorsement for a vehicle that doesn't drive anything like a motorcycle.
The SRK may ride more like the three wheeler MC it is. The new autocycle legislation shouldn't have been steering wheel and car seat specific............enclosed with car like safety features would have been sufficient to waive the MC endorsement and helmet requirements.

I'm old, cranky and don't like the idea of being faced with the inconvenience of a MC endorsement and hope the current legislation may be amended with the help of Arcimoto. The irony is I contacted my State Senator to draft the bill that was passed in Idaho to exempt the Elio.

Last edited:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The SRK may ride more like the three wheeler MC it is. The new autocycle legislation shouldn't have been steering wheel and car seat specific............enclosed with car like safety features would have been sufficient to waive the MC endorsement and helmet requirements.

I'm old, cranky and don't like the idea of being faced with the inconvenience of a MC endorsement and hope the current legislation may be amended with the help of Arcimoto. The irony is I contacted my State Senator to draft the bill that was passed in Idaho to exempt the Elio.

I can agree with you 100% on the helmet issue. No one who is strapped to a seat (race cars excluded) should be required to wear a helmet. That's how you kill people.
I don't know what other differences there are between SRK controls and car controls so I won't comment on the endorsement issue.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I'm old-ish and probably crankier than you and my opinion is that, hey, if you want to drive it, do what you gotta do.
Many states provide free MC safety classes and provide the actual driving test as the last part of those classes!
In some states, you have to log a certain number of hours of road time on your permit.
But, again, please refer to sentence #1.

Kind of like some people believing that everyone should be capable of driving stick.

The helmet is a whole other story. I feel so strongly about that issue that I believe...
That any public official that votes to require them in enclosed vehicles...
Or helps to keep such a requirement in place (regardless of the occupant's age)...
Should be charged with manslaughter should any deaths occur from such a mandate...
And should also be held financially responsible (gross negligence) for any death or injury due to the same.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm old-ish and probably crankier than you and my opinion is that, hey, if you want to drive it, do what you gotta do.
Many states provide free MC safety classes and provide the actual driving test as the last part of those classes!
In some states, you have to log a certain number of hours of road time on your permit.
But, again, please refer to sentence #1.

Kind of like some people believing that everyone should be capable of driving stick.

The helmet is a whole other story. I feel so strongly about that issue that I believe...
That any public official that votes to require them in enclosed vehicles...
Or helps to keep such a requirement in place (regardless of the occupant's age)...
Should be charged with manslaughter should any deaths occur from such a mandate...
And should also be held financially responsible (gross negligence) for any death or injury due to the same.
I think the people that come up with the rule should have to wear a helmet in a car for a week.
I think that would change their outlook on it.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think any helmet law still left for the Elio will standup very long. If nothing else, the threat of a law suit for neck whiplash will get their attention as soon as the Elio is in production. Any state would look horribly irresponsible if some little kid gets hurt, any body who wasted $30 on a helmet for the Elio would have a case. Then the class action lawyers would come out of the wood work. Kind of like night of the living dead, but in a court room!

Having said that, I wouldn't mind having a light weight half-helmet in the car when I felt like getting some attention. I don't like attention for me, but for the Elio, that's cool. I'll gladly wear a Darth Vader full face a few times down the diamond lane!

Add some after market X-wings and there ya go! oh, we had some talk about that before, I want a new thread on that!

Last edited:

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Out in the general public I have no doubt helmets will be optional. It's on military installations that I fear the logic and common sense will be readily dismissed.

Top Bottom