• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Another Big Reason We Need The Elio

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Our public school system could provide some important guidance in this important money management lifeskill. Perhaps money management could be added as a unit in the Public Schools "New Math Curriculum". It would seem as practical as say Algebra and Geometry.

I agree. I think it is even more practical than Geometry and several other classes. There is less real world teaching and more book teaching in both high school and college. At the same time, as you mentioned, parents need to take responsibility and teach their kids something. Many parents don't teach their kids much or discipline them. (That is a whole different rant though)

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree. I think it is even more practical than Geometry and several other classes. There is less real world teaching and more book teaching in both high school and college. At the same time, as you mentioned, parents need to take responsibility and teach their kids something. Many parents don't teach their kids much or discipline them. (That is a whole different rant though)

Add drugs, smoking, drinking and Sex education to the list that parents are usually reluctant to share/inform with their kids. (besides the kids are 2 busy texting to look up and hear a human(lol)

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Add drugs, smoking, drinking and Sex education to the list that parents are usually reluctant to share/inform with their kids. (besides the kids are 2 busy texting to look up and hear a human(lol)
I have two kids. One is showing every sign of being fiscally responsible. I didn't teach her; maybe her hubby is waking her up. The other, who has been taught how to do it, will not do it... she acquired a largish chunk of money in a legal settlement, and has it put in CD's. And is spending the capital. She knows better, but I can't tell her anything ... except that she's going to run the well dry if she doesn't find ways to replace the water, which an investment program would do.

Genetics are crazy things.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Guilty of all of those, despite my parents best efforts (circa late '70's).:rolleyes: Peer pressure is a b*tch.
I'm doing just great now, and a comfortable retirement (i.e. - doing what I want to do for fun and profit without having to worry about where my next meal is coming from) is a real possibility in about 5 years. Some of my "partners in crime" back in the day did better than me, some, not so much. Personal choices, personal responsibility. If you can't teach your children accountability in the first 10 years of their lives, don't expect them to just magically become responsible adults.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Those are all extracurricular activities.
Guilty of all of those, despite my parents best efforts (circa late '70's).:rolleyes: Peer pressure is a b*tch.
I'm doing just great now, and a comfortable retirement (i.e. - doing what I want to do for fun and profit without having to worry about where my next meal is coming from) is a real possibility in about 5 years. Some of my "partners in crime" back in the day did better than me, some, not so much. Personal choices, personal responsibility. If you can't teach your children accountability in the first 10 years of their lives, don't expect them to just magically become responsible adults.
Most all kids will have a rebellious nature growing up, but those that had good parenting will make better choices with better odds of becoming responsible adults and ultimately turn into their parents. That's the magic.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Those are all extracurricular activities.

Most all kids will have a rebellious nature growing up, but those that had good parenting will make better choices with better odds of becoming responsible adults and ultimately turn into their parents. That's the magic.

Agree totally. And all thanks to my parents, whether I knew it or not at the time, I didn't "crash and burn" years ago.

Top Bottom