• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

All About The Horn

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd like a 130db blood curdling scream for a horn. Or maybe I'll just add a microphone in the cockpit...same effect if someone pulls out in front of me driving my Elio.:eek:
Yes, I put one on a scooter. I got it at Advance (around $30) made by Fiamm (red plastic trumpets) and around 130db's, and it did have a very high pitch. Like a little girl throwing a tantrum :eek: Quite noticeable :)

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Guys, I've driven professionally most of my adult life, in many cities, many states, numerous countries, on multiple continents. I've driven just about everything with wheels in every condition of weather or traffic or road you can imagine. I've gotten out of a LOT of close calls, and never in well over 25 years behind the wheel had an accident, despite having driven multiple times the miles a normal driver will ever cover. And I just feel compelled to add this two-cents, as a friend; I have NEVER had a horn avoid an accident. EVER. If you have time to hit the horn, then you have time to avoid the accident, and it would be time better spent. By the time you hit the horn, someone hears it, figures where it's coming from, recognizes the situation, and takes an evasive action, YOU could have already avoided the accident.
I'm not trying to spoil your fun, if you want to play with putting big horns or whatever, ON whatever, have at it. I can see the fun in it. But just don't kid yourself into thinking it's some kind of safety feature. It's NOT. I drive an ambulance these days. It has sirens and big loud horns, and even flashing lights and strobes and all kinds of cool stuff. That thing is a bumper-to-bumper attention getter. Anyone care to check out the safety record of ambulances? Per mile traveled it's pretty appaling, and many times WORSE with all that STUFF turned on. Same goes for police and fire units.
Do you really think a confusing, chaotic intersection is going to be made better because it suddenly sounds like the QE2 is docking at 5th and Main? If people hear a train horn will they notice you in their blind spot, or look at the TRAIN TRACKS?
The bigger-is-better philosophy that brought us monster trucks, monster energy, and mega bass EVERYTHING does NOT really translate to safety. The BEST safety gear that no amount of money can buy is between your ears. Drive better than the other guy.

Yogi Leigh

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I want a horn of a semi-truck or a donkey....
imagesCWELO2I2.jpg

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Guys, I've driven professionally most of my adult life, in many cities, many states, numerous countries, on multiple continents. I've driven just about everything with wheels in every condition of weather or traffic or road you can imagine. I've gotten out of a LOT of close calls, and never in well over 25 years behind the wheel had an accident, despite having driven multiple times the miles a normal driver will ever cover. And I just feel compelled to add this two-cents, as a friend; I have NEVER had a horn avoid an accident. EVER. If you have time to hit the horn, then you have time to avoid the accident, and it would be time better spent. By the time you hit the horn, someone hears it, figures where it's coming from, recognizes the situation, and takes an evasive action, YOU could have already avoided the accident.
I'm not trying to spoil your fun, if you want to play with putting big horns or whatever, ON whatever, have at it. I can see the fun in it. But just don't kid yourself into thinking it's some kind of safety feature. It's NOT. I drive an ambulance these days. It has sirens and big loud horns, and even flashing lights and strobes and all kinds of cool stuff. That thing is a bumper-to-bumper attention getter. Anyone care to check out the safety record of ambulances? Per mile traveled it's pretty appaling, and many times WORSE with all that STUFF turned on. Same goes for police and fire units.
Do you really think a confusing, chaotic intersection is going to be made better because it suddenly sounds like the QE2 is docking at 5th and Main? If people hear a train horn will they notice you in their blind spot, or look at the TRAIN TRACKS?
The bigger-is-better philosophy that brought us monster trucks, monster energy, and mega bass EVERYTHING does NOT really translate to safety. The BEST safety gear that no amount of money can buy is between your ears. Drive better than the other guy.
I agree with you completely! On the whole my horn use is limited as a friendly, "the light is green, but it's short!" or if I am in a situation where I'm not sure of another driver's intent my hand slides to the horn but almost never use it and have plans, if possible, to evacuate my position. In my opinion it should never be used as a primary accident avoidance device or even secondary, maybe not even tertiary. That's where attention to the traffic and strategic driving comes into play. Especially with the Elio! True, 5 star rating is being sought, still, as my friend with the suv pointed out, they have the advantage with size and mass. An accident Elio vs suv, the Elio will always come out in second place. And in this case coming in second means losing! So, relying on a horn for your safety is folly, using a horn in controlled "civil discourse" is quite practical. I have driven in the Philippines and made it out alive but because I didn't know the unwritten rules of the road I just had to imitate what was being done and hope for the best.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree with you completely! On the whole my horn use is limited as a friendly, "the light is green, but it's short!" or if I am in a situation where I'm not sure of another driver's intent my hand slides to the horn but almost never use it and have plans, if possible, to evacuate my position. In my opinion it should never be used as a primary accident avoidance device or even secondary, maybe not even tertiary. That's where attention to the traffic and strategic driving comes into play. Especially with the Elio! True, 5 star rating is being sought, still, as my friend with the suv pointed out, they have the advantage with size and mass. An accident Elio vs suv, the Elio will always come out in second place. And in this case coming in second means losing! So, relying on a horn for your safety is folly, using a horn in controlled "civil discourse" is quite practical. I have driven in the Philippines and made it out alive but because I didn't know the unwritten rules of the road I just had to imitate what was being done and hope for the best.
Unless the Elio is between a rock and a hard place, I think it will simply be pushed aside when contact is made with a SUV. The light weight will be an advantage. Of course, that is very simply my very biased and totally not humble opinion. :-) Z

Top Bottom