• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

A Great Video On Why An Affordable Car Like An Elio Can Be A Game Changer

GreatDanes

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
When I say "self-insure", i mean to spend the least that is humanly possible and save the difference to increase the beans in my pile. This should give me the ability to have a "buffer" against repairs/service/unforseeables breaking my piggy bank.

I always get the least-expensive insurance options available (even going line-by-line with agent) and own my vehicles outright therefore no mandatory collision coverage is necessary! I agree that BIG_GOVT makes it harder, but I save and bank every penny to earn the interest.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone started discussing our new vehicles with their insurance companies yet?
I was going to send information to my insurance company earlier in the year and then EM asked that people let their professionals handle it for now. Like the government issues, they have staff who will be or are specializing in these issues and have all the information needed. We don't have all information at this point. At that time they said they are hoping to have agreements with insurance companies in advance of production since this is a new and different vehicle. We have not heard any more about it. :-) Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I say "self-insure", i mean to spend the least that is humanly possible and save the difference to increase the beans in my pile. This should give me the ability to have a "buffer" against repairs/service/unforseeables breaking my piggy bank.

I always get the least-expensive insurance options available (even going line-by-line with agent) and own my vehicles outright therefore no mandatory collision coverage is necessary! I agree that BIG_GOVT makes it harder, but I save and bank every penny to earn the interest.
Those of us who are low income, living on only Social Security, don't have those options. :-) Z

Reaction score
I look forward to your input on this issue - specially the 3X gas credit card. I agree interest rate is crucial for this. I will also be checking into what my credit union has to offer. I have already given them some information about the Elio and will be taking more information to them as we get closer to production. :) Z

I agree, please let us know what you find out on the 3X credit card.
Hi Z !!!

DScott

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was doing some advance research on the insurance., you know getting a quote..
Geico actually has ELIO Motors in it's list of manufacturers! no model name...
or autocycle category, But I thought it was cool that they are preparing!. still inputting right now will get a quote later I suppose.

DScott

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was doing some advance research on the insurance., you know getting a quote..
Geico actually has ELIO Motors in it's list of manufacturers! no model name...
or autocycle category, But I thought it was cool that they are preparing!. still inputting right now will get a quote later I suppose.
these guys are wild! $2347/year!

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For the new folks who haven't seen it. This is the best practices policy from last year. I'm sure there has been some headway since this was published, but most insurance companies follow the AAMVA which is why Elio was in Geico's database.
Elio Motors' Judicial Success Continues With American Association of Motor Vehicles Administration Policy Recommendation
DETROIT, Nov. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The AAMVA (American Association of Motor Vehicles Administration), the authority on best policy for all state DMV's and Licensing Bureaus, is recommending the Elio be driven with a standard driver's license.

Earlier this week, the AAMVA (American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators) released their new "Best Practices" policy on licensing and registration of 3 wheel enclosed vehicles that are certified as motorcycles by the National Highway and Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA). AAMVA is recommending that only a regular passenger car driver's license be required to operate a 3 wheel, fully enclosed vehicle with automotive controls like the Elio. This means that a standard driver's license, with no motorcycle endorsement, will be the only necessary license needed to drive the Elio.

Joel Sheltrown, VP of Governmental Affairs for Elio Motors is pleased with the new policy. "We have been in close contact with AAMVA for quite some time and are quite confident that AAMVA's policy on motorcycle endorsements and registration is the correct way to handle vehicles like ours." With this new policy, AAMVA strongly encourages jurisdictions to use these best practices to promote uniformity. This will facilitate the movement of these vehicles from one jurisdiction to another.

Some of the remaining states with motorcycle endorsement issues were waiting for AAMVA's position before making changes. "Going forward we should see even better progress in eliminating endorsement requirements where they still exist," said Paul Elio, Founder of Elio Motors.

The AAMVA also recommends a motorcycle plate be used on the back of the Elio, instead of the larger automobile plate, since the Elio will be registered as a motorcycle or an Autocycle. Utilizing the motorcycle plate will help drivers avoid problems with HOV lane enforcement and tolls, which have different requirements for motorcycles.

About ElioElio Motors was born out of Paul Elio's vision for an efficient and affordable revolutionary vehicle. The American made, three-wheel vehicle boasts 84 mpg on the highway and 49 mpg in the city, plus an anticipated 5-star safety rating. At $6,800, this vehicle is for everyone. For more information, please visit http://www.eliomotors.com or www.facebook.com/ElioMotors.

SOURCE Elio Motors

RELATED LINKS
http://www.eliomotors.com

fb_share.png

email.png

http://www.eliomotors.com or www.facebook.com/ElioMotors.

SOURCE Elio Motors

Top Bottom