• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

11/5/2014 - Tech Talk V41: Engine Part 4

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the engine looks great! I love engines.

But I'm quite surprised that they don't have the dual action lifters fitted. Without them they will be unable to assess the fuel consumption and power curve or optimise ignition timing. There's obviously still a long way to go but I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing more.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the engine looks great! I love engines.

But I'm quite surprised that they don't have the dual action lifters fitted. Without them they will be unable to assess the fuel consumption and power curve or optimise ignition timing. There's obviously still a long way to go but I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing more.
They should be able to at least test the power band at whichever cam lobe they have in there. If the engine meets expectations there, they could put in a cam with the second profile. By comparing those two sets of results, they can see where it makes the most sense to program in the change from one to the other. They should be able to get the ideal trade off between power and efficiency that way. This isn't IAV's first rodeo and these steps may come quick.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
very little info that hasn't already been covered on the forum but the pictures tie it all together .... to me this is a big step forward that helps the development of an Elio transition from theoretical into the real world .... a big thumbs up to EM

Jim

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The engine can't weigh too much, it's sitting on a plastic cart.

I am now sufficiently convinced of this engines existence to up my all-in to $1000.

Congrats on your upgrade plans! :)

I am sure you are not the only who was waiting for some actual photos of development work before upgrading an/or making a reservation. I have suspected for quite some time that once EM begins the hands-on development and testing portion of the engine program, and eventually the full vehicle development program, that many people who are sitting on the fence watching this unfold would decide to jump in.

We don't have exact numbers however we have been told that the fully assembled engine will weigh in at under 100 lbs. One of the members guessed that the engine as show likely weighs about 80 lbs and it would not surprise me if that is about right.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Congrats on your upgrade plans! :)

I am sure you are not the only who was waiting for some actual photos of development work before upgrading an/or making a reservation. I have suspected for quite some time that once EM begins the hands-on development and testing portion of the engine program, and eventually the full vehicle development program, that many people who are sitting on the fence watching this unfold would decide to jump in.

We don't have exact numbers however we have been told that the fully assembled engine will weigh in at under 100 lbs. One of the members guessed that the engine as show likely weighs about 80 lbs and it would not surprise me if that is about right.
Aren't you supposed to be on vacation? Couldn't get away from us, huh? ;)

Top Bottom