• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

11/5/2014 - Tech Talk V41: Engine Part 4

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Motors Tech Talk v41
View this email in your browser
83468eef-7e35-4e13-897e-736414932a0d.jpg
Getting it right…engine testing key to long term success

Last week, we discussed the meticulous detail it takes to machine the individual components for the engine prototype. This week, engine development partner IAV began the process of putting all those components together into one working prototype so that we can continue with the testing phase.

Entering the testing phase is one of the most crucial portions of the entire engine development process. To this point, we have used sophisticated simulations to model how the engine will perform in a variety of driving conditions. While we use the most advanced simulation tools available in the auto industry today, there is still nothing quite like having a physical prototype and putting it through a battery of tests on the dynamometer.

03a703a6-449d-41c8-b59d-75c0e2eb1e05.jpg

Figure 1: Elio Block assembly and head assembly

Why is this phase so important? Quality and customer satisfaction are essential to winning today’s highly discerning customers. There is no margin for error for any new vehicle – whether it’s a new launch from an existing manufacturer or a start-up like Elio Motors. Customers, rightfully so, demand excellence right out of the gate.

The testing phase allows the engine development team to determine the mechanical integrity of the prototype and conduct calibration activity to gather data. This information is compared to the data from the simulation phase to ensure that everything is working as it should, and to correlate real world to previous simulations.

2e5029ca-3ec8-4863-8490-84b3b2eac2c7.jpg

Figure 2: Dry fit of the Elio engine “Front View”

Here are some of the important elements that IAV will test:
  • Burn Rate/combustion characteristics of the combustion chamber – Fuel efficiency of up to 84 MPG is one of Elio Motors’ four “Must Haves.” But, Elio Motors also wants to ensure that the vehicle will have performance characteristics that meet customer demand for speed and power. Testing on the dynamometer will verify if the burn rates, knock resistance and combustion efficiency is conducive to achieving the level of efficiency for which the engine is designed.
  • Timing of the valve train – Another important factor in determining overall engine performance and efficiency is the timing of the valve train. If this system is not in sync, it will cause a detrimental impact on overall fuel efficiency.
  • Friction – Long-term durability also is important to overall customer satisfaction. Too much friction in the engine can cause wear and tear and impact engine life.
  • First-level emissions testing – Obviously, it is impossible to build a zero-emission internal combustion engine, but our goal is to be as environmentally friendly as possible. Testing emissions at this phase will allow the engineering team to make adjustments if needed.

6b73c190-8c23-4aaa-a667-25702afc40b1.jpg

Figure 3: Dry fit of the Elio engine “Back Right View”

Once these and other similar tests have been completed, the data will be compared to data previously generated in the simulation phase. In the end, this will yield an efficient and reliable engine that will meet our customers’ expectations.
23e0b01f-8f1b-46ca-b65c-9b12f2c1b348.jpg

Copyright © 2014 Elio Motors, All rights reserved.

unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice to see the engine assembled like this! I can't wait to see it fully assembled next and then on a dyno!

I did notice that as reported this version does indeed have steel liners in it instead of the PTWA 'Flame Spray' coating. The pistons also look quite interesting demonstrating all the work that has gone into optimizing the combustion chamber.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Are those sleeves in the cylinder walls? Isn't flame spray a thin cylinder wall coating? That cylinder wall metal is darker than the block and looks pretty darn thick.

It has been reported to us that this initial prototype engine uses traditional steel liners and does not have any variable lift or timing mechanisms installed. This is apparently done to run the engine at a baseline level and then add variables to it as development and testing continues to measure the resulting differences in the engine performance.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It has been reported to us that this initial prototype engine uses traditional steel liners and does not have any variable lift or timing mechanisms installed. This is apparently done to run the engine at a baseline level and then add variables to it in the future to see what the resulting differences are.
Thanks. I didn't know that.

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It has been reported to us that this initial prototype engine uses traditional steel liners and does not have any variable lift or timing mechanisms installed. This is apparently done to run the engine at a baseline level and then add variables to it as development and testing continues to measure the resulting differences in the engine performance.

Yeah. I wondered about the cams too. I saw only one set but since I'm not a gearhead I thought I was just missing something. Thanks for clearing that up too Goofyone.

The other thing I looked for in vain was any evidence of whether this is being done in Germany or here in Michigan. I was pretty sure it is being done locally and everything in the photos looks very American to me. IAV has a pretty small footprint here compared to Germany, don't they? Like a couple of hundred stateside and >5,000 folks in D-land.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. I wondered about the cams too. I saw only one set but since I'm not a gearhead I thought I was just missing something. Thanks for clearing that up too Goofyone.

The other thing I looked for in vain was any evidence of whether this is being done in Germany or here in Michigan. I was pretty sure it is being done locally and everything in the photos looks very American to me. IAV has a pretty small footprint here compared to Germany, don't they? Like a couple of hundred stateside and >5,000 folks in D-land.

While IAV is based in Germany they do have a pair of fully staffed offices in the Detroit area and as far as I know all this work is being done there. The last I heard IAV does indeed have a few hundred people in those offices with one being their test center which has a number of engine testing cells.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I didn't know that.

I don't think many people did know about these details as they just came out in the last few days from several people who have had a chance to speak with them in Las Vegas.

It does however make sense that a professional engineering firm such as IAV would take a well defined step by step approach to the engine development program. It will be interesting to follow along as this moves forward.

Top Bottom