• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Yep, I Too Got Impatient...

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks. I can appreciate the comfort of windshields and fairings but as I said, I keep trying them and so far always walk away with the thought that I'm not old enough yet.

That isn't meant to be a slight on people that like the added protection, it is just what I think. When younger I too used to say "whimp shield" but I'm smarter now and recognize it isn't about style, or being a bad ass, its about having fun. For me to have fun, I need to be able to look ahead with nothing in front of me. I need to be able to look down around the headlight and see the road. And I really need to have the wind in my face, well, now my full face helmet. But that is just me.

This is what I want to look at when I'm cruising the nations byways: View attachment 10567

and when I'm carving twisties: View attachment 10569

and when I'm running to the hardware store: View attachment 10568
Hmm who's bike are you on in your avatar?

And you don't want a windshield so tall you can't see of the top of it; it should be about an inch or two below your site line.
And as someone mentioned earlier; "when you ride to look at where you're going to be, not where you are" it's one of the big things we taught in the Safety course.

And that is kind of a strange statement, "have the wind in my face, well, now my full face helmet"
A contradiction maybe?

Any time I did long distance riding I never wore full face helmet; always open face, or a half helmet.

I do agree that everyone has different comfort levels for the way they ride; I will never fault anyone for that.
It's part of what makes us who we are.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmm who's bike are you on in your avatar?

And you don't want a windshield so tall you can't see of the top of it; it should be about an inch or two below your site line.
And as someone mentioned earlier; "when you ride to look at where you're going to be, not where you are" it's one of the big things we taught in the Safety course.

And that is kind of a strange statement, "have the wind in my face, well, now my full face helmet"
A contradiction maybe?

Any time I did long distance riding I never wore full face helmet; always open face, or a half helmet.

I do agree that everyone has different comfort levels for the way they ride; I will never fault anyone for that.
It's part of what makes us who we are.

The avatar was from one of those test rides I was talking about. It was the debut of Victories first full dresser. I hated it because it felt like I was in a car looking out over a big dash and unable to see stuff in front of me that was blocked by the fairing.

I would really like to have my face in the wind and used to ride with 1/2 and 3/4 shell helmets to realize that. Unfortunately my eyes can't do that anymore so I wear a full face now. I do wish I had the wind in my face but at least I can still see around the front of my bike and when I look out over my headlight I'm very happy that it doesn't feel like I'm looking over the dash of some big old cage.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My screens are low enough that I can look down and see the road in front of me just fine.
They still divert almost all of the wind (and bug) flow. That's the whole idea.
A perk to the screens is being able to ditch the modular full face.
Even @ speeds of 65mph and above.

My modular full-face is white and it's still a freaking oven in summer stop-n-go.
Even when I open the plexiglass. And even when I flip the entire front up with the vents open.
It still fogs in the winter even when treated. The only things I really liked were...
The "cone of silence" effect and the warmth in frigged weather.

With the entire front flipped up in hot weather, it's off-balance and becomes a sail in the wind-stream.
Constantly opening and closing the visor and/or the entire front in 80+ degree sunny weather...
Early on became a constant hassle and kind of defeated the whole purpose..

BTW, I wear script glasses and they and the windshields do just fine no matter how fast I go.

Like you say, to each his own.

Last edited:

Smitty

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ever try one of these? :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 237

msmith5150

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I keep going into the garage and see that poor, lonely bike sitting there. All these beautiful (but hot) days going by and that bike just sitting there. But as I said, I'm old enough now I left (most) of my stupid behind me so I'm a "by the book" kind of guy and will wait until after my safety course and license retrieval.

Sucks though. If there wasn't a wife and kids in the house, well, you all know...

(love my wife and kids, btw :p )

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yamaha and Honda make terrific 250s . Several of my buddies have had them . I don't want to startle you , but all of them moved up in power in less than 6 months . The quickest reset was a Marine in Hawaii who went from Vespa to Honda 250 to Harley 883 in less than 45 days :D
He now rides an Indian Dark Horse

retired67

Reaction score
I ordered my Elio before the deadline, so I received 50% off the down payment, I am 67 going on 70 in body,The company has the means to get the "autocycle" manufactured in 2016. I will wait till winter. Hope to be driving it then. Just ordered the basics, Silver, no add ons.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I keep going into the garage and see that poor, lonely bike sitting there. All these beautiful (but hot) days going by and that bike just sitting there. But as I said, I'm old enough now I left (most) of my stupid behind me so I'm a "by the book" kind of guy and will wait until after my safety course and license retrieval.

Sucks though. If there wasn't a wife and kids in the house, well, you all know...

Attaboy. :D

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score

Set you're rules and stick to them; I like it! :thumb:

But I do agree with Hotscoots; you will want something bigger as soon as you start riding on a regular basis.
I don't know your height and weight but I'm 6' and 170 and I have to have 750 or bigger. I like the ability to get out of a bad situation, and smart enough not to try and put myself in one. (I don't play Johnny Racer)
I rode a 650 for a couple of years, and by myself it was ok, but put a second person on, and it's working pretty hard.
The 250 will put the wind in your face, but don't put anyone bigger than 80lbs on the back. 250 is a one person bike.
It will be fun; but once you start riding, you'll find out what kind of "drug" it can be and want more. :thumb:

Top Bottom