• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wiring Harness Questions

hEliocentric

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I'm a guy who is always on two wheels; with my all in and binding agreement, I have realized I will have another vehicle for long distance trips (specifically during the winter). With that in mind and picking up an Elio (hopefully within the next year) I'm starting to rethink the package I was planning on getting. I know I want the heads up display and tire pressure sensors, but not sure about the rest.

Since it seems like Elio will be offering two base models, auto or manual trans, will the wiring harness be the same on all of them (sans trans specific connections)? I'm wondering if I can add GPS and what not at a later date. Does anyone have the skinny on this?

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm a guy who is always on two wheels; with my all in and binding agreement, I have realized I will have another vehicle for long distance trips (specifically during the winter). With that in mind and picking up an Elio (hopefully within the next year) I'm starting to rethink the package I was planning on getting. I know I want the heads up display and tire pressure sensors, but not sure about the rest.

Since it seems like Elio will be offering two base models, auto or manual trans, will the wiring harness be the same on all of them (sans trans specific connections)? I'm wondering if I can add GPS and what not at a later date. Does anyone have the skinny on this?
I think add-ons after purchase is the general plan with standard wiring and receptacles designed for easy add-ons.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Paul said that he wanted all the add-ons to have the capability of being added post-purchase. GM had 21 different cross-body harnesses for their S10 line back in the day. I think Elio will keep it to a single wiring harness to keep logistical costs down. I could see a case for not including the transmission wires but I don't think there would be enough savings there to warrant having to track, purchase, design, maintain, and train for the installation of both. Either way, I believe Paul will keep it simple and you'll be able to plug and play all of the little toys and lights that you want.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Paul said that he wanted all the add-ons to have the capability of being added post-purchase. GM had 21 different cross-body harnesses for their S10 line back in the day. I think Elio will keep it to a single wiring harness to keep logistical costs down. I could see a case for not including the transmission wires but I don't think there would be enough savings there to warrant having to track, purchase, design, maintain, and train for the installation of both. Either way, I believe Paul will keep it simple and you'll be able to plug and play all of the little toys and lights that you want.
For items like the tranny, you would have a separate section of wiring that would plug into the main harness.
That section of wiring would be included with the tranny. That way you don't have a lot of extra wiring not doing anything except filling space.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For items like the tranny, you would have a separate section of wiring that would plug into the main harness.
That section of wiring would be included with the tranny. That way you don't have a lot of extra wiring not doing anything except filling space.
It COULD be done that way or it COULD be done as one wire bundle. The distance from ECU to Transmission, etc. isn't very far in the Elio, especially. Plus, quite a few wires would be used whether they use a manual or Automated Manual Transmission. You probably won't gain a whole lot by making a second one. But, perhaps I'm underestimating the costs. Hmm... I wonder if Elio needs an industrial engineer that's been out of practice for quite a while...

Scott Berridge

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Any comments on the quality of fit and finish and functionality of factory installed (or distribution hub installed) options vs. aftermarket stuff done by a local retailer? I also think I read somewhere that Elio can install factory/vender authorized and designed specific options by taking it back to the distribution hub to be done. Any thoughts or comments?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Any comments on the quality of fit and finish and functionality of factory installed (or distribution hub installed) options vs. aftermarket stuff done by a local retailer? I also think I read somewhere that Elio can install factory/vender authorized and designed specific options by taking it back to the distribution hub to be done. Any thoughts or comments?
There are a number of threads already here that have covered that very topic.
Look for the thread about stock and optional equipment, it's over 100 pages long.

Top Bottom