• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Will Other Drivers See Us?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm thinking of small fog/driving lights mounted on the fenders, that covers clearance lights and better lighting in one! As far as I know steerable headlights are legal on a motorcycle so why not?

wouldn't lights mounted on an Elio's front fenders bounce a great deal of the time .... it seems to me that could create some issues for both the driver of the Elio and for oncoming drivers as well

Jim

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of small fog/driving lights mounted on the fenders, that covers clearance lights and better lighting in one! As far as I know steerable headlights are legal on a motorcycle so why not?
Jerome said that unsprung projecting lights are illegal, only unsprung glow lights are permitted (such as a led light strip or turn signal)

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They'll see me with my Fender Lights

magicflex.jpg

ScarecrowRepair

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I was at first worried that the Elio would be hard to see, but not after comparing the specs to my daily driver. I have been driving a Toyota MR2 for 30 years. In that time, I have only had two instances of cars threatening to come into my lane.

The Elio is 6 inches higher and 5 inches longer, and the front track is one inch wider. If they can see my silver MR2, they can see an Elio of any color.

I don't foresee any problems from the front either, or someone cutting in front of me and hitting the fenders that they didn't see. There looks to be less than a foot between fenders and body, and the fenders look to be about the same height. It would take a really angry or impatient driver to see the body but not the fender.

The only situation I can see being hazardous is when covered with a couple of feet of snow. The fenders might look more like snowman bases than part of the main lump, and the main lump would be narrower than a "real" car, which might confuse a plow driver, especially at night in a storm. I've thought of using a few 2x4s and small tarps to build impromptu tents while parked in a snow storm, mainly to make the fenders look taller and connected to the body. No need to carry them in the car, since that's not weather I want to be driving it in.

I am unsure of what color to order. Like I said, if they can see my silver MR2, hey can see any Elio. But I was thinking of white so I could paint patterns on it, or attach magnetic color panels (except it's not magnetic, right?), or some other temporary patterns, changing them whenever I felt like it. I wonder how well chalk pictures would last ....

Top Bottom