• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Will Elio Motors Have An Ability To Protect It's Business Model?

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Smart car was a total failure here in the USA and Europe anyway . But , did Daimler defend their patents against the Chinese company selling the Nobel ? Where they successful in stopping the sale of the Nobel or receiving compensation for every Nobel sold ?

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Smart car was a total failure here in the USA and Europe anyway . But , did Daimler defend their patents against the Chinese company selling the Nobel ? Where they successful in stopping the sale of the Nobel or receiving compensation for every Nobel sold ?
The smart is marketed in 46 countries and has sold over 1.7 million units by early 2015. You have a very peculiar definition of total failure.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_(automobile)

And successfully stopping all sales isn't the point. Vigorously defending your intellectual property is. By raising awareness of the phony clones, smart and Daimler were probably able to dissuade many folks who were considering buying the fakes.

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The smart is marketed in 46 countries and has sold over 1.7 million units by early 2015. You have a very peculiar definition of total failure.

And successfully stopping all sales isn't the point. Vigorously defending your intellectual property is. By raising awareness of the phony clones, smart and Daimler were probably able to dissuade many folks who were considering buying the fakes.

Forbes , Jalopnic , Bankrate , NY Times , Edmonds , European Auto News and even SmartcarsofAmerica forum share my peculiar definition ;)
Daimler has lost $4.6 billion over the course of its existence.$6100 per car

The original poster asked the question ,"Can Elio defend their business model ? ".
From 1st hand observation and empirical evidence I strongly believe the answer is no . I respect your alternate opinion .

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Forbes , Jalopnic , Bankrate , NY Times , Edmonds , European Auto News and even SmartcarsofAmerica forum share my peculiar definition ;)

The original poster asked the question ,"Can Elio defend their business model ? ".
From 1st hand observation and empirical evidence I strongly believe the answer is no . I respect your alternate opinion .
Well, as reasonable adults, we can reasonably disagree. I submit that the answer is more nuanced than a simple yes or no. If the question was "can" they defend it, the answer is they can certainly try. If the question is will they succeed in defending it, I think the best reasonable answer is, who knows? It all depends on the circumstances: who tries to muscle in on Elio's market, how they try to do so, and the general public's reaction to both Elio and the imitators.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What if an Elio imitator gets to market before the Elio? Interesting to debate the success of concept vehicles and concept vehicle copies. I would like to see a variety of three wheeler options on the market with varied drive trains, performance, and price range. Competition is good for consumers and keeps the businesses focused on quality products and customer service. The Elio @ $6800 would likely be on the most affordable end of the price range. I doubt Chineese knock off imports could be cheaper.

runt2

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
What if an Elio imitator gets to market before the Elio? Interesting to debate the success of concept vehicles and concept vehicle copies. I would like to see a variety of three wheeler options on the market with varied drive trains, performance, and price range. Competition is good for consumers and keeps the businesses focused on quality products and customer service. The Elio @ $6800 would likely be on the most affordable end of the price range. I doubt Chineese knock off imports could be cheaper.

I agree. The more Elio-type companies and vehicles to choose from, the better the price and the better the quality - capitalism at its best. Also, the more small, lightweight cars on the road, the safer will be my commute. Having said that, I would like Paul Elio to be the first to succeed as a reward for his hard work and ingenuity. But if someone can do it faster/cheaper/better, the more power to them.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Even with the $'s strength &
cheaper oil, shipping costs
will be an issue....

Aprilia

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Agreed...a strong brand name (Daimler...Mercedes...Smart)... and the reputation for a quality product will dissuade buyer's from purchasing lower quality clones!!

Aprilia

Elio Addict
Reaction score

You're absolutely correct...the Smart has been a money losing project for Daimler from day one...

Even the completely redesigned '16 Smart 453... which was co-developed with Renault is not selling as well as expected...of course this is a reflection of current low gas prices...and the Smart has a high price compared to other small vehicles...

I've owned 3 new Smart cars over the years...but I have no faith Mercedes will continue to import them into the US over the long haul...sales are just so anemic...

Ask Penske about retailing small two seat cars in the US...LOL

But all that said...I loved my Smarts...so much fun to customize!

Last edited:
Top Bottom