• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Hasn't The Elio Been Built Yet?

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IAV engine is a slight modernization of the Suzuki / Geo Metro G10 motor far as I know. I get your point I don't really get why didn't they just integrate another OEM's engine. My only guess is its cost factor. Only thing that makes sense in the IAV engine is it is based on an existing design that is proven so it does cut development cost down.

Where is this information coming from? The mule has a geo powertrain. The IAV engine is a clean sheet design that is very conventional.

redhedman50

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Ford did that with Jaguar and Aston Martin (utilizing already produced parts). Volvo S80 platform the basis for the Ford Taurus. Ford said they thought S80 platform alone was worth what they paid for Volvo. Jaguar S-Type, Lincoln LS, Ford Thunderbird all shared the DEW98 platform. Common engines (Jags got a tweak here and there to make it a Jag). So commonality already in use, parts already done. Dodge using a Cummins engine. GM using an Allison transmission. DeTomaso used Ford engines instead of developing their own. Corvette using Brembo brakes instead of developing their own. All the things you say Mr. Elio is doing utilizing already produced parts has already been done..........So using your logic Mr. Elio should be using one of the 3 cylinder engines already in production, be it Mini, Ford, Fiat, or Volkswagen. So what is IAV doing for Elio? Are they developing a new engine for Elio? If the IAV engine is in production, what is it in? The transmission what is it in? None of the body panels, or platform is universal. So there are very few pieces that are already produced. I would expect suspension, tires, brakes, stereo..........The most expensive items are not.

Hey DBN477,
Someone really has to be right don't they. But; lets see...
Yes there are seversl cars out there that are basically the same car. Dodge Charger/Plymouth Satellite, Honda Passport/Isuzu Rodeo, and we could go on for days.
Yes, we also know that some manufacturers use others engines/transmission, etc.
From my understanding of what I've read, most the little nit-noid parts are supposed to be right off the shelf:
Brake Components (Master Brake cylinder, wheel cylinders, pads, rotors, drums)
Steering Components (power steering pump, hoses, assembly)
Electrical Components (alternator, fuse box, wiring)
A/C Components (evaporator, drier, compressor, condensorer, orifice tube)
Analog guages, Comfort Controls, blah, blah, blah. We could name parts all day.​
To say that a few body parts, engine, and a few others doesn't mean he hasn't done his homework and coordinated a large amount of parts to bring this vehicle together is ridiculous.
You also have to realize that part of the rational for producing his own parts is to keep down the cost and get the MPG he antisipates getting. Sure he could buy a 6,000 3 cylinder from Ford, but there goes your price point.
I'm really not sure what point were arguing over. You said Henry Ford only argued about the patent, and I said he also made the assembly line which made it possible for the masses to afford a car. I'm sure googling what Henry Ford did is easier that arguing about it, you be the judge.

briish

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
well u would think after 4 years there would be some sort of confirmation? has anyone ever been to the proposed factory facility?

WAYNE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
well u would think after 4 years there would be some sort of confirmation? has anyone ever been to the proposed factory facility?
It's currently an empty building except for some leftover machinery from GM. Some forum members have local contact and we will have a inside info when they see activity. It will be awhile.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It hasn't been 4 years. Elio signed the agreement for the building with Caddo Parish in January, I believe. The deal is reported under the News tab on the Elio Motors website.

Chris F

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So doing some Basic math: $200,000,000 divided by $6,800 is about 30,000 Elios. But if the profit margin was $1000 per car, that's having to sell 200,000 Elios to get that 200 Mill back. I'm no corporate financial person, so anybody is welcome to fix my numbers :D
I would be very surprised if the profit is $1000 per vehicle. Margin is probably much thinner. Also, there is a difference between debt and equity. Debt has to be paid back; equity gets dividends (if any) or profits on resale. You have to factor in the costs of raising the money, debt service, overhead, etc.

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The "$1000" profit per unit is from Elio, and has been quoted and requoted. We got no other number and no other reason to not believe it. Whatever, it will be close.
So the numbers look about right but your points about additional expenses could have merit.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So doing some Basic math: $200,000,000 divided by $6,800 is about 30,000 Elios. But if the profit margin was $1000 per car, that's having to sell 200,000 Elios to get that 200 Mill back. I'm no corporate financial person, so anybody is welcome to fix my numbers :D

Rule of thumb used to be (in a 5 year plan) break even at end of year three
or rather end of 2017. :)

Last edited:

Double D in Ohio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's finances. I saw the thread with the minutes of the meeting up in Detroit in 2010. Sounds like the same things are being said today. All the vendors are on board, you've been testing for over 4 years, build the Elio already or just come clean and tell everyone that it's not viable? Am I missing something here? o_O

Well Elio maybe toying with fire here.....most of us have been waiting at least 2 years and car prices are down Because of the economy and Politics in General. I get new car fever from time to time....The Elio was supposed to be shipping this year .....Elio Get your ass in gear my last new car was a 2002 Nissan Altima.......and a new one is starting to look very tempting. Double D

Attachments

• Fever_Blast4.jpg
    Fever_Blast4.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Top Bottom