• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Elio?

Dexter Henschel

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Hello all, and I know people are thinking why Elio in these present days of lower gas prices? I am an older guy and I ride motorcycles a lot when the weather is suitable here in Minnesota. I want an Elio to drive year-round as a second car. I love tinkering with motorcycles and would do all my own maintenance on an Elio if I had one. I also like to be unique, so I would enjoy the attention that an Elio would bring because it is not the usual vehicle that you see every day around town. I don't have my name on the list and I have not put any money down to get one. I watch all the developments as they come around. Just a great concept! I'm waiting...........

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio would bring because it is not the usual vehicle that you see every day around town.
That's my main reason. Also, the price is up there too. Plus, it looks like it will be fun to drive. I don't drive much, so MPG isn't too high on my list. But if it gets great mileage, then great. Will save me money and keep me from messing up the gas station flow.

TeamCoconutOreo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Why Elio?"

Because it makes sense. During the week I commute alone. Often by bike, but I do drive occasionally.

Oil drilling companies are in trouble. Many of them going out of buisness or shutting down. Less production will have the pendulum the other direction with rediculously high. Gas prices go down slow, but rise quickly and suddenly.

Call me a nerd, geek or dumb, but I still believe in the American dream. My brother is a car salesman. Years ago I told him two things I wanted American car makers to do.
1. Build small engines out of strong materials put a turbo on them to power larger cars.
2. Make a small simple light weight car for commuting. I said give me a fun car under ten grand and I'll buy it. He said Americans just wouldn't buy either idea. We want big cars with big engines.

Here we are ten years later, Ford is doing Eco-boost (which he sells) and Elio is about to make my commuter dream come true. Then of course it's not just my dream, Paul had it too!

Last edited:

Dexter Henschel

Elio Fan
Reaction score
"Why Elio?"

Because it makes sense. During the week I commute alone. Often by bike, but I do drive.

Oil drilling companies are in trouble. Many of them going out of buisness or shutting down. Less production will have the pendulum the other direction with rediculously high. Gas prices go down slow, but rise quickly and suddenly.

Call me a nerd, geek or dumb, but I still believe in the American dream. My brother is a car salesman. Years ago I told him two things I wanted American car makers to do.
1. Build small engines out of strong materials put a turbo on them to power larger cars.
2. Make a small simple light weight car for commuting. I said give me a fun car under ten grand and I'll buy it. He said Americans just wouldn't buy either idea. We want big cars with big engines.

Here we are ten years later, Ford is doing Eco-boost (which he sells) and Elio is about to make my commuter dream come true. Then of course it's not just my dream, Paul had it too!
I like working on machinery, and I like small engines. I own a 185cc Honda single and ride it a lot in good weather. I am an old guy (80) but still pop wheelies when challenged at the stop lights. I raced a lot of off-road events in earlier days, but always with the idea that I would live to ride another day. I like simplicity in my machinery and am always "fiddling" with things. I fix lawnmowers and snowblowers for my friends and neighbors. My snowblower is 42 years old and still running great. I want to tinker with an Elio and drive it to coffee every day and run errands around the area with it. Any other "Fogies" going to join me???

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hello all, and I know people are thinking why Elio in these present days of lower gas prices? I am an older guy and I ride motorcycles a lot when the weather is suitable here in Minnesota. I want an Elio to drive year-round as a second car. I love tinkering with motorcycles and would do all my own maintenance on an Elio if I had one. I also like to be unique, so I would enjoy the attention that an Elio would bring because it is not the usual vehicle that you see every day around town. I don't have my name on the list and I have not put any money down to get one. I watch all the developments as they come around. Just a great concept! I'm waiting...........
low gas prices now is just a "blip", there are many 'ol bikers here (me 73, 50+ on bikes).
The decision to take a "chance" now, or wait until production begins is the comfort level we are all challenged by, hence the very wide range of $ folks put into this experiment of the future.
AND, we are ALL waiting!!!
best of luck on your decision

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...because this is a 3heeler that I can actually afford, that's why! :D Here's another, it's as simple as it can be and I'm a DIY guy! I can't expect much for the targeted base price but all I really need is heat on cold days, A/C on hot days, AM/FM radio for listening to what's offered on the airwaves- news, traffic update or music and my favorite- a five speed manual all included! I'll pass on CD players or built in info system, that's where my smart phone comes in! And I can live w/ the Elgin dash, it's different so that's part of the uniqueness of the ELIO. I will however invest on a EM authorized turbo upgrade if it's offered by 3rd party vendor. And the "green people" out there are just drooling to get their hands on one to convert this to all electric which is very doable w/ it's low weight, or the "power hungry" group who just can't wait to slap 3 fat tires and a more potent motor! Can you imagine what CHIP FOOSE can do to this baby?? EM should hire him to do a one off just for everybody to see what's possible for our ELIO, that is, if money's no object!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...because this is a 3heeler that I can actually afford, that's why! :D Here's another, it's as simple as it can be and I'm a DIY guy! I can't expect much for the targeted base price but all I really need is heat on cold days, A/C on hot days, AM/FM radio for listening to what's offered on the airwaves- news, traffic update or music and my favorite- a five speed manual all included! I'll pass on CD players or built in info system, that's where my smart phone comes in! And I can live w/ the Elgin dash, it's different so that's part of the uniqueness of the ELIO. I will however invest on a EM authorized turbo upgrade if it's offered by 3rd party vendor. And the "green people" out there are just drooling to get their hands on one to convert this to all electric which is very doable w/ it's low weight, or the "power hungry" group who just can't wait to slap 3 fat tires and a more potent motor! Can you imagine what CHIP FOOSE can do to this baby?? EM should hire him to do a one off just for everybody to see what's possible for our ELIO, that is, if money's no object!
The thought of a custom Chip Foose Electric Elio, my head just exploded!

Top Bottom