• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Are There No Kammback Pickup Trucks?

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
On my way to work this morning, it struck me that pickup trucks are a very poor aerodynamic shape.

I know, this isn't exactly a brilliant observation, but....why? Why are all pickup trucks these terrible shapes? The blunt nose and steeply angled windshield aside, why are there no kammback-style tops for the bed?

I know some folks improve their MPG by lowering the tailgate or putting on one of those cloth or hard covers, and the camper covers probably help too. So why not design a Kammback cover, and reap even better mileage?

Elf

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Those of us who need pickups for our work we get screwed ever time we buy one Excessively bulky ,poor fuel mileage and a base price over $25,000 .Most have weigh less than mid size car costing far less .Complete ripoff by the auto industry .

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
On my way to work this morning, it struck me that pickup trucks are a very poor aerodynamic shape.

I know, this isn't exactly a brilliant observation, but....why? Why are all pickup trucks these terrible shapes? The blunt nose and steeply angled windshield aside, why are there no kammback-style tops for the bed?

I know some folks improve their MPG by lowering the tailgate or putting on one of those cloth or hard covers, and the camper covers probably help too. So why not design a Kammback cover, and reap even better mileage?
I found in my little S10 it got better mileage with the bed open, gate closed.
I tried it with the gate down, and I had a tonneau; the open bed, closed gate was still the best.
It just formed a perfect pocket of air behind the cab.

They really don't do much with aero on trucks because they're supposed to be used for work; mostly in-city hops, some open road, but it's got a bed for carrying big stuff. It was later that using a big truck as a car became a trend. Think about how useful a crew cab, 4 bucket seats, short bed 1/2 ton 2WD
Pick up is ...... NOT! It's a big car, with an open trunk.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Kei Trucks? What are those?
They're little cab-over trucks that are very popular in Asian countries. Basically a van frame/cab with a little bed in back instead of bench seats. Typically, the sides and back of the bed can fold down so they become little flat-beds. Often have small engines (1L-1.5L) and not usually capable of going over 55mph due to lower gearing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kei_truck

Top Bottom