• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where 84 Mpg Came From

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This will be a short thread. I thought people might like to know where the 84 MPG came from. I finally found it. (Of course, perhaps everyone except me already knows.)

I found this:

"The company is chasing after that 84 mpg figure because they want to be able to get triple the average fuel economy of the American fleet of cars."

This makes a good advertising point.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...se-contracts-signed-factory-stores-announced/

It is in the 6th paragraph, starting with the words "There have also been some changes now that the P4 prototype has been revealed."
"The company is chasing after that 84 mpg figure because they want to be able to get triple the average fuel economy of the American fleet of cars."

The average fuel economy of the American fleet of cars is steadily going up. Is 84 mpg going to be triple the American average when the vehicle is finally released? Probably not.

Darrellh

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I actually think this looks more finished. It also will help shield with hopefully an optional belly pan the under carriage from road salt to help preserve this auto cycle. Am also interested in achieving maximum mileage, not that an additional 3MPG makes much difference

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver

The average fuel economy of the American fleet of cars is steadily going up. Is 84 mpg going to be triple the American average when the vehicle is finally released? Probably not.

I was thinking that I agreed, but I googled it and found this article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/08/average-fuel-economy-record_n_5953968.html

Extrapolating from it's information from the EPA:
2014 - (predicted) 24.2 mpg
2013 - 24.1 mpg
2012 - 23.6 mpg
2011 - 22.4 mpg

Even if 2016 comes in at 26 mpg, 26 x 3 = 78 mpg. If 2017 comes in at 27 mpg, that's 81 mpg.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why don't everybody just lighten up. Don't get so upset over a few CAD drawings. It's not a production Elio until it's rolling out the door in Shreveport. The Elio is a very small, very simple machine. Once it's in you driveway you can easily change virtually anything about it. Why bastardized it for 3 mpg? Because the spec for the ATVM loan requiers 75 mpg and a 9 mpg pad is far better than a 6 mpg pad. Let Paul and the team get their 84 mpg then once it's yours change what you don't like if it's really that important to you.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did not know where the 84 MPG came from so thank you for the info.

I too wonder where the $6800.00 came from.

I used to think that maybe Paul Elio may have over promised and might not be able to deliver. I thought if he had said he was going to produce a vehicle that gets over 80 MPG and sell for under $10,000 it would have caught a lot of attention and then if he hit his goals he would be a hero! If he came up a little short, it would still be a great achievement!

Top Bottom