• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where 84 Mpg Came From

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This will be a short thread. I thought people might like to know where the 84 MPG came from. I finally found it. (Of course, perhaps everyone except me already knows.)

I found this:

"The company is chasing after that 84 mpg figure because they want to be able to get triple the average fuel economy of the American fleet of cars."

This makes a good advertising point.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...se-contracts-signed-factory-stores-announced/

It is in the 6th paragraph, starting with the words "There have also been some changes now that the P4 prototype has been revealed."

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How important is 84 mpg? Apparently, it is very important to Paul Elio. Earlier, Paul Elio said they had achieved 81mpg. Now they have made changes to the vehicle to achieve 84mpg. These changes include:

1) Changing front wheel fenders from contour open fenders to fully enclosed fenders.

2) Changing diagonal coil over shocks to vertical shocks inside the body.

3) Eliminating clean lines of right side rocker panel to enclose the exhaust pipe.

4) Enclosing front suspension (this is a suspected change, not confirmed)

All these things are done to achieve 3mpg more. Are they worth it? I was originally drawn to the vehicle because of its attention grabbing styling. I was not drawn to its mpg. The original styling was sleek, beautiful, and sexy. By the time Paul Elio gets done, it will have all the charm of a sump pump.

I posted in another thread: Good gas mileage helps to sell vehicles, but good styling sells even more. If people like something, they will rationalize some excuse to have it. I believe more customers will be lost than gained as a result of these changes. But Paul Elio seems obsessed with 84mpg. Perhaps there is a twelve step program for this.

I am actually falling out of love with this vehicle.

I was seriously considering getting a second one but that is becoming less likely.

PAUL! Enough is enough! We do not have to have 84mpg. Give us back the beautiful vehicle we fell in love with!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
how important is 84 mpg ? .... it depends on who you ask .... a few months back Paul stated they were a few hundred away from $6,800 and a few mpg's short of 84 .... the anti Elio folks went nuts .... they demanded that all reservation money be returned because of false promises .... among other charges that were levied, that was pretty mild .... Paul from day one has committed himself and his company to the "must haves" and I have no reason to believe that will change .... there are things about the projected production vehicle that I don't care for (example, Elgin) but I can't fault him for making every effort to live up to his word

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sans full Electric , the highest MPG rating for several 2015 Compact Hybrid cars is 47 MPG . This fetish with the number 84 is frustrating . I don't care if the Elio gets 84 or 44 . That is not my criteria for purchase . I remain fixed on style and fun and an unprecedented low MSRP for a full featured vehicle . If PE starts bastardizing the Elio to achieve an arbitrary MPG , I may lose interest . If you consider yourself a "hypermiler" , you would be best served by a Nissan Leaf .

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/05/best-worst-fuel-economy/index.htm

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Horscoots, It seems to me that by doing what you are asking would "Bastardize" the Elio by the definition. Elio has set a goal to accomplish. Doing anything other than that would bastardize the project.

Bas·tard·ize
ˈbastərˌdīz/
verb
  1. 1.
    corrupt or debase (something such as a language or art form), typically by adding new elements.
    "a strange, bastardized form of French"
    synonyms: adulterate, corrupt, contaminate, weaken, dilute, taint, pollute,debase, distort
    "it is unthinkable that I would bastardize my values"

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some of these changes will drive up the price such as the additional panel to enclose the front suspension (suspected change, not confirmed). That is an additional panel and would definitely drive up the cost. Other changes may or may not add cost.

The vehicle is steadily changing from what it was when I made the deposit.

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The agenda can be bastardized , the vehicle as it looks today , should not . I personally do not want the wheels and suspension covered by a plastic shield to glean another drop of gas . I don't care about gas mileage. I respect those who do and offered a far better alternative to any Internal Combustion engine . If the Elio begins to be produced and it "only " gets 59 MPG , not a single sale will be lost . Of course there will be some fuss-budgets that will stamp their feet , but who cares ?

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
44k with money in and maybe 200 active here?and of those 200 or so, many (judging by their hobbies and automotive skills) mpg is VERY low on the list.
My first scooter got 100mpg, and some of my bikes 50 and less, mpg was NEVER a consideration- to me it's always been the ride
First time I saw it was the day I went 1k all in- I thought it would be coming in at 20k, with the looming suggestion that Sept 1 2014 would be the end of the incentives, which accounts for the high spike of "ins" Aug 2014.. I'd take it at 12k w/options if it got 45mpg. Yes there are folks who specifically see it as lthe distance commute need, and as PE has called it the "&" autocycle and yes there are kids for whom it would make owning a new vehicle important.
Finally, I'd give up the incentive, rarely worn "T" (the sticker is stuck on my door), my dream of yellow, keep the elgin dash, put the gas cap anywhere he likes, just send me my email asking what options I want and I'll order my one way ticket to pick it up.
this project, developing a complicated, innovative, never done before safe transport is becoming a fading dream- sold my MR2, and replaced my "&" with a BMW (had three airheads R50, ugly 750 and RS1000T) coupe, and these old bones never had a 4 wheeler my 135 reminds me of the 2002 small unique, very powerful, comfortable a rush to drive,a joy with A.C, good sound system, and powerful I'm good.
Come the reading of the will, I hope my grand kids don't fight over who's in line to buy grandpa's number.!!!
This ain't trolling, don't react to it as such those who know me know.
XI:XXXVII time to turn in.
Night all- Seattle Monday night!! (read they're having a Tuesday sale on bubble pipes- gotta check it out!!!!)

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The different is only 3 mpg. So much styling is being sacrificed to gain so little in mpg. This vehicle was amazing to me because it attracted two very different types of people: those who want good gas economy and those who want a stylish vehicle. Paul has already got the gas economy people because where else are they going to go to get anything remotely close to 81 mpg. However, Paul is slowly loosing the people who want style. I believe this is hurting sales, not helping.

Top Bottom