• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Happened To The Fly The Road Club And Forum?

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't think it will ever get to the states. Top speed of 28 MPH?
It's designed for the Dutch market. That's a completely different market as opposed to the US. They are trying to compete against the Canta (the Dutch microcar) and the newer micro EV's. Since the Netherlands is going no ICE in the large cities by 2025, there will possibly be a market for them. Most likely for people that live on the outskirts of town as opposed to in the city (which they ride bicycles by the millions). Go to any large city in the Netherlands and you'll see who it's not anything like in the US.
The Canta is the most popular but they are ICE and originally designed for people in wheelchairs but there are ones with two seats. Here's a pic of how micro it is.
dsc3585-1.jpg

Samuel Gompers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Besides, didn’t trikes with one wheel upfront go to that special ‘stupid design’ place as Lawn Darts?
Unfair. A non-tilting delta trike has some stability design issues, but the tilting front section overcomes most of that, at least in theory. There is still some question about braking, but keeping weight distribution towards the rear, and with both car-type tires flat on the road at the back, braking still should be excellent without overloading the front motorcycle tire.
I still think the Carver and its descendants are based on a wonderful idea and sound engineering, but just don't see the project(s) as ever likely to become financially viable. As noted above, it looks like the last activity on the Helix was 2019.

Watashiwah

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sam,

I agree that the tilting probably mitigates some of the dangers of ‘single wheel forward’ trikes. My experiences on those non tilting ATVs Is riddled with close calls: the tremendous leaning i had to do was about half directed towards keeping the lone front wheel ‘on the ground.’ I’m not thoroughly convinced ‘tilting’ will overcome the physics of having the same relatively light weight front end from being *almost* just as dangerous. The evidence was so overwhelming that single front wheel ATVs were dangerous that it took almost no prodding from the Feds to make manufacturers stop, almost overnight.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sam,

I agree that the tilting probably mitigates some of the dangers of ‘single wheel forward’ trikes. My experiences on those non tilting ATVs Is riddled with close calls: the tremendous leaning i had to do was about half directed towards keeping the lone front wheel ‘on the ground.’ I’m not thoroughly convinced ‘tilting’ will overcome the physics of having the same relatively light weight front end from being *almost* just as dangerous. The evidence was so overwhelming that single front wheel ATVs were dangerous that it took almost no prodding from the Feds to make manufacturers stop, almost overnight.
Watch the Lynx e-Carver Version video (Post #10 in this thread). It would be fun to test drive it to determine whether or not it has sports car like performance and handling. I’ll trade in the enclosed FUV for a Retail Production Carver, Lynx, or Helix that has a minimum speed of 75 MPH. :)

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sam,

Tilting trikes is a band aid solution for a bad idea. Overly complex with a ton of liability.

Top Bottom