• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Every Elio Needs...

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Visibility: From the front it's not so critical. From the side it's about like any normal car. But from the rear... well, there's the problem, very small and potentially ripe for a rear-end collision. The rear brake light helps, but I don't think it's enough. I plan to drive with my lights on day or night, but still want more.

It would be great it they would offer a bar of small, red LED lights running right along the roof just above the rear hatch. This would work like the "cyklops" brake lights on other vehichles. If it become available as an option, I'll buy it, if not I'll figure out how to install one myself.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Visibility: From the front it's not so critical. From the side it's about like any normal car. But from the rear... well, there's the problem, very small and potentially ripe for a rear-end collision. The rear brake light helps, but I don't think it's enough. I plan to drive with my lights on day or night, but still want more.

It would be great it they would offer a bar of small, red LED lights running right along the roof just above the rear hatch. This would work like the "cyklops" brake lights on other vehichles. If it become available as an option, I'll buy it, if not I'll figure out how to install one myself.
That would be a totally EASY little project to do. LED's are available in any specs you can imagine these days. If we are going after rear-end collision avoidance a doppler system that would detect a vehicle not slowing down enough once it is within a specific range could set off some rapid high wattage LED strobes to make sure they notice there is a skinny little vehicle in the space they are about to occupy. It would work on other vehicles too, including motorcycles and scooters. (No more B.S. excuses for 'lookit-me' pipes). People would even get in the habit of not running up on stopped vehicles so fast 'cause gettin' red-strobbed every time would get annoying quick. Might not be easy gettingbthe DOT to go along with it, but all you'd have to do is gen-up some statistics and they'll pass it, just like all the other stuff they've passed.

archer5013

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I want some LEDs on the front and rear of the front wheel fairings, too.
I want simpler ones, but here's an example on a Can-Am's fenders.

Attachments

• Can-Am Fender LEDs.jpg
    Can-Am Fender LEDs.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of visibility and what every Elio needs , The 1st thing I'm buying is a backup camera . Sitting in the Elio at the NY show I was impressed with how well the side mirrors work , but there is nothing like knowing what is exactly behind the rear wheel .

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Speaking of visibility and what every Elio needs , The 1st thing I'm buying is a backup camera . Sitting in the Elio at the NY show I was impressed with how well the side mirrors work , but there is nothing like knowing what is exactly behind the rear wheel .

if it doesn't require an internet connection, I'm considering the camera options with the Skyz system ....

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Isn't that the truth. In the Elio, I could see directly behind the thing right up until within about 5 feet. That's where I could no longer see. The backup camera, in other words, only adds that 5' of visibility. I sure wouldn't mind a backup camera as both of my current vehicles have one but I don't know if I'm up for paying $2000 for the Skyz system just to get one.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No need to spend 2k for the entire system just to get a backup camera. You can get a complete camera and monitor kit on Amazon for less than $50.00. Some are even wireless some even have night vision for a few dollars more. If that's what you want don't sweat it. You can get it for not much more than the cost of a good rear view mirror.

Top Bottom