• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Do We Know About The Elio Chassis?

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really like Edison's in wheel suspension technology. I would love to see EM implement this in a future model.

08-edison2-vlc-4-0.jpg

Edison2-VLC-4-suspension.jpg
Seems to have more unsprung mass, though.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I really like Edison's in wheel suspension technology. I would love to see EM implement this in a future model.

08-edison2-vlc-4-0.jpg

Edison2-VLC-4-suspension.jpg

Seems to have more unsprung mass, though.

Actually this design likely reduces unsprung mass. The enclosed I-beam cross member is part of the chassis and the upper part in the wheel where the top of the coil-over shock is connected is not unsprung as it is bolted directly to this chassis element. The unsprung mass is limited to the wheel hub and the pivoting control arm along with the wheel and tire.

DSC_7551.JPG

04-edison2-vlc-4-0.jpg

Last edited:

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are definitely correct about that. :D

However when I say future models I mean that hopefully EM can do well for themselves and eventually expand their lineup with some premium priced models outfitted with some premium features. :cool:
Clearly once on the road and selling ELIO will have to up the game a bit. If they don't some else will. The first ELIO will be the BUG the next the JETA.
Not that I like the Volkswagen line just an example

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Like the turkeys better that the twerkie or the trekkies.

What about a Twerking Trekkie Turkey?

Edit:
Do NOT GIS Twerking Turkey!! (shivers)

CdA m2 Automobile model
0.260 m2 Elio Motors P4
0.565 m2 1989 Geo Metro

So the P4 has LESS than half the drag of the early model Geo Metros. And they were 55-60mpg.

Last edited by a moderator:

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
In the Elio the amount of front overhang has been dictated by function more so than form. The front wheel drive reverse trike configuration is most stable when the drive-train mass is low and centered over, or even slight in front of, the front drive wheels. For safety there is also a certain amount of crumple zone which must exist to control the rate of deceleration in an impact and how this is distributed relative to the engine, wheel location, and driver does matter. As we all know aerodynamics also plays a very large role in the Elio design, as this is very important in maximizing highway MPG, so as compared to the P4 the new design is able to improve in aerodynamics via a smaller radiator grill opening and extended nose which further smooths out the vehicles aerodynamics.

I don't think clearance will be a big deal in the final vehicle as the ride height will be 5.75", vs about 4" in the P4. My 1993 Honda Civic Sedan sits at 5" of ground clearance and appears to have a similar amount of front overhang to the newer Elio design yet I don't have issues with with overhang scraping anywhere that is not going to be an obvious issue for many vehicles.
My Pontiac Grand Prix is 6.5" and I routinely scrape on driveways and parking lots that are directly uphill, there's quite a lot of room in front of the tires.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looks can be deceptive. The bottom of the coil over is mounted half way between the pivot point and the connected end. The two inches or so you see that can depress, is twice that much at the end. I see five to six inches of travel there.
it looks to me like any movement of the car up would make any suspension travel hit the upper side of the wheel and anything more than, I'll agree there is probably some leverage at play there, say 4 inches and you'd hit the bottom of the wheel.

Top Bottom