• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Trying To Understand "wraps"

nickskeys

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was using the configurator the other day and see all these "wrap" colors to choose from. Really cool! But my question is this? If the body is going to be galvanized steel, are these wraps put over the bare metal or is the body painted first in a standard color, and then the wrap placed over that? Any thoughts?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio body will first go through a degreasing surface prep to get rid of all the contaminants introduced during the mfg processes. Then get a primer coat, either a 'dip' [I'm rooting for dipping], or a electrostatic spray of water-based primer, so no bare metal below your wrap. As for base paint, and this is a total assumption on my part, but they may ask you what base color you want below your wrap. Can't see them wrapping a primer-only body. Maybe coat the wrapped vehicles with a white base coat, or what ever the cheapest color is.

Good question! But definitely not 'bare metal' wrapping.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
" With our vehicle wrap options, you can choose any color, as long as it is a color! "
I was assuming " wrap " was just another color ?
The term "wrap" is used for graphics usually.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrap_advertising

A wrap is a vinyl layer over your existing finish. It can be the entire vehicle. Coss has done some. He'd be the forum expert as far as I know. Maybe he'll chime in.

Chrome-car-wrap.jpg

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is that what ELIO is talking about ?
Isn't that usually an after market specialty ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321710165464?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

It is indeed an aftermarket specialty, and will be done after your completed Elio rolls off the line at the factory, or one of it's marshaling centers. That's why I'm thinking that the wrapped vehicles will be base coated with one color, or another. That is a very good question to send to EM. I'm curious as to what their plan is for wrapping.

Kehrtastic One

Reaction score
The Elio body will first go through a degreasing surface prep to get rid of all the contaminants introduced during the mfg processes. Then get a primer coat, either a 'dip' [I'm rooting for dipping], or a electrostatic spray of water-based primer, so no bare metal below your wrap. As for base paint, and this is a total assumption on my part, but they may ask you what base color you want below your wrap. Can't see them wrapping a primer-only body. Maybe coat the wrapped vehicles with a white base coat, or what ever the cheapest color is.

Good question! But definitely not 'bare metal' wrapping.
I believe that a wrap would only be applied to the exterior, and would not include hood, door, and trunk jams, therefore you would want a base color that would be neutral or compliment your choice of wrap color. Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Top Bottom