• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Trading In The Ferrari?

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can see that the Elio concept has reached a surprisingly broad demographic, which certainly speaks to it's future in the marketplace, and that's great for everyone. And I know that I want one because it makes sense financially that I make the most of my limited means. And I can see lots of people taking similar interest for similar reasons. BUT I also see many posts containing the casual name-dropping of some rather pricey rides that some of you have sitting in the driveway right now that I just can't help see as something of an enigma. I am just wondering, if you have a 30k, 40k, (50k+ ?) car in your driveway, or usually more than one, Why the interest in Elio? Sure it's COOL! But it's not THAT cool. As has been discussed before, It's a 7k econo car, not a $7k BMW. I'm genuinely curious about this and it's had me doing some real head scratching for awhile now so I thought I'd throw it out and see what y'all think.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can see that the Elio concept has reached a surprisingly broad demographic, which certainly speaks to it's future in the marketplace, and that's great for everyone. And I know that I want one because it makes sense financially that I make the most of my limited means. And I can see lots of people taking similar interest for similar reasons. BUT I also see many posts containing the casual name-dropping of some rather pricey rides that some of you have sitting in the driveway right now that I just can't help see as something of an enigma. I am just wondering, if you have a 30k, 40k, (50k+ ?) car in your driveway, or usually more than one, Why the interest in Elio? Sure it's COOL! But it's not THAT cool. As has been discussed before, It's a 7k econo car, not a $7k BMW. I'm genuinely curious about this and it's had me doing some real head scratching for awhile now so I thought I'd throw it out and see what y'all think.
I do not see any mystery to owning whatever form of transportation that an individual wants and can afford.
I have a pair of $5 flip-flops and a $1000 pair of custom boots.
Then there are the two wheelers, a bicycle, Whizzer and a Harley (see avatar).
Four wheelers include a 4X4 Ford pickup and a Porsche Boxster.
I want the Elio for everyday economical transportation.
The other vehicles will be my "and" vehicles.:D;)

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How many multimillionaire celebrities are currently driving Prius's? Income does not always dictate interest. Supporting American manufacturing and conserving fossil fuel is not just for the economically challenged.
Good observation, but honestly Hollywood people wanting to look like they give a crap about the environment doesn't count for much to me. And generally speaking, income DOES dictate interest. I'm not out browsing on the Hummer lot, and people with money WON'T be buying mu used pickup truck. But really, I'm not out to be negative to anyone, I just really find this unusual. There seems to be something special about this vehicle, and it reaches such a broad spectrum of people that is's interesting. Dustoff said essentially that it's a cheap way to keep miles off his expensive stuff, which is a good idea. The more that sell the better, for the US and the environment. That's why I asked the question.

Dustman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some of those who drive expensive cars commute many miles to the job that pays for said expensive vehicle. The Elio is an opportunity to end the cycle of driving to death the expensive vehicle, and own something inexpensive, hopefully fun to drive, and save enough on gas to essentially pay for the Elio. One can finally own the expensive car and still afford another vehicle for the sole purpose of commuting - and help the environment, fuel dependency, etc. in the process. Win/win - dumb to not take advantage of the opportunity.

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A few of my cars average less than 10 mpg. and my collector car insurance requires that I have a daily driver that is less than 10 years old to drive to work to get the rate I do on my collectable vehicles. The elio both gives me a daily driver and the less I spend on it's fuel and tires is that many more dollars I can put into my other cars' gas tanks.

Joe Coppinger

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are right in some aspects. I own (my high school car - monkey on my back) a 1969 Mustang Mach I - Suspension has been changed to coil over and four link with panhard bar in the rear - engine followed currently a little over 600hp and 588ft pounds of torque.. bottom line I'm getting 20 mpg thanks to a TKO 600, fuel injection and decent driving - driving it like I want attention drops to 10-15 mpg...

But this isn't the real concern for wanting an Elio... it's other people.. I'm not wanting an Elio because other people want one, it's because other people don't respect other people vehicles. From door ding to getting keyed people have changed for the worse..

There's always been a "beater" or "hoopty" because I learned about people early in life.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan my daughter drives, which allows her to take her 4 children anywhere they need to go, plus her brother and his baby. (2 adult children, 5 grand-children in house) I couldn't wait until next year, I just traded my 2007 Prius up to a 2014 PriusC today. I have to drive 42miles each way to work right now, and reliability is paramount.

When I get 3 Elio, the current cars will just sit in the garage/driveway until the weekends, or anytime I have to drive my wife around to her medicals. So sister and brother will each get an Elio, I'll drive the other, and I may reserve yet another for my 'employed' daughter in another State, if she wants it. It will be a tuff wait until then. Due to the low monthly, everyone will pay for the Elio they drive. Therefore, this will enable and require employment for every driver. If I get one more Elio, it will get an Atlantric body upgrade. So I want 5 eventually. At least that's the plan.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It'a $7K enclosed cabin motorcycle........so for me it's primarily a fun ride, secondarily I believe in Paul Elio's vision and need for this affordable commuter, less dependence on oil, good for the environment, built in the USA, job creation, and improves the overall economy......even mine. There are higher price cars I can afford, but don't like them as well as the Elio. I suspect Jay Leno may add an Elio to his massive collection of vehicles. What's not to like?

Note: Many people with money may in fact be looking for a good used pickup truck, probably why they have money........spending the money they have wisely. Frankly, I would prefer to buy a good slightly used Elio for $3400.

Last edited:
Top Bottom