• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You will also have rolling resistance with a trailer plus sway etc.
Ray
The only accounts I have seen about my Mini Mate Tent Camper were by motorcyclists. Neither seemed to have any problem and one was a very long distance trip. I suspect it will be less of a problem for my Elio because of the low center of gravity and the overall width of the the Elio. Of course that is simply a guess. I think it is time to contact the people who make it and see what they say. I'll add that to my list. I love spreading the Elio word! :-) Z

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The only accounts I have seen about my Mini Mate Tent Camper were by motorcyclists. Neither seemed to have any problem and one was a very long distance trip. I suspect it will be less of a problem for my Elio because of the low center of gravity and the overall width of the the Elio. Of course that is simply a guess. I think it is time to contact the people who make it and see what they say. I'll add that to my list. I love spreading the Elio word! :) Z
Keep us posted this should be interesting..

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The carrier is only on when needed and the Thule is aerodynamic when in use.. No registration or insurance required either plus no backing up problems..
http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produ...s/roof-boxes/thule-pulse-alpine-613-_-1680041

Ray
The Alpine size on your link looks like it would be really aerodynamic on a small trailer. As for the length of the trailer tongue, I guess the carrier has clear 18" or so behind the body of the car. These are my thoughts anyway.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So it looks like a trailer would be in the blue area behind the car. That says to me that it will indeed incur its own frontal area resistance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I myself, would not expect to get 84 with a trailer or rack. I would tow the trailer and be happy with 75 MPG. JMO

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Alpine size on your link looks like it would be really aerodynamic on a small trailer. As for the length of the trailer tongue, I guess the carrier has clear 18" or so behind the body of the car. These are my thoughts anyway.
Nothing against trailers in fact it might be good to have both for a longer trip or even a small popup camper like Z wants to buy.. Bet it would be fun tooling through Vermont and staying at the state campgrounds.. I have camped in the lean-to's and really liked them! Elio elicits much of the emotion of motorcycling so customizing will surely follow if successful..

Ray

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know. If I had to guess, people are underestimating how much it will affect fuel economy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

towing-gas-mileage-2.jpg

Last years vacation trip to the cabin.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/information/towing-gas-mileage.htm

Last edited:
Top Bottom