• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Hud For The Elio

Do you like the Elio?

• Yes

Votes: 61 83.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 12 16.4%

• Total voters

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do you have a WO2? I've read they can be difficult to get working, and I haven't been able to find out if they do MPH or if it is only metric.

No, I don't.
The material I read indicated that the speedo can be set to MPH and some of the other options Fahrenheit or Celsius.
The material also indicated that some calibrations is required.
Did some hunting and this appears to be the user manual. ---> http://m5.img.dxcdn.com/CDDriver/CD/sku.235936.doc <---
The reason I was interested in this unit (WO2) rather than the A8 is I think I recall from someplace that Elio will be 7500 RPM red line.
In any case.... Hope this is helpful.

Hob

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of SIM cards and not wanting another cellular monthly bill, what do y'all think of this:
https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/17/automatics-new-car-adaptor-uses-3g-without-a-subscription/

In regard to Torque, it seems that app is only available for android phones.. I have an iPhone. What would be the iPhone app equivalent, there seems to be several? ODB Fusion looks to be the most promising.

And, regardless of whatever app, it seems an ODB interface adapter would still be required.. Any recommendations there?

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agreed, and once EM let's us know who the manufacturer is we're all guessing.
I personally have never heard of a "projector SIM card"; I know what a SIM card is, but not a projector SIM card. I wonder if they meant "Projected SIM card", as in they have plans for being able to use a SIM card in it. If that is the case, Verizon users are out of luck; their phones still don't use SIM cards (unless they changed that in the last 3 years).
As for other apps that do the same thing; go look at Torque
You could use it and tie in some other apps that are out, put it on a laptop, and there you go; your own Skyzmatic system.
Exactly.......I have a Galaxy 3 Tab that's just dying to be put in my Elio with Torque and a few other things :D

What I don't get is why, after hearing Paul speak about the problems with packaging, are people trying to sell me a HUD with 5 vanity mirrors in it. All I want is a full American version of the WO2 or A8 HUD. No metric crap or maybe one option for either American or Brit measurements.
But instead we have maps, GPS speedometers, turn by turn directions, and who knows what else.
And instead of a $50 price tag, $400 worth of fluff toys that I don't want.
Yes! I know some of you want all of that crap, but many of us don't.
Right on...........my old Garmin (w/ lifetime updates) will work just fine in my E too :D

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of SIM cards and not wanting another cellular monthly bill, what do y'all think of this:
https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/17/automatics-new-car-adaptor-uses-3g-without-a-subscription/

In regard to Torque, it seems that app is only available for android phones.. I have an iPhone. What would be the iPhone app equivalent, there seems to be several? ODB Fusion looks to be the most promising.

And, regardless of whatever app, it seems an ODB interface adapter would still be required.. Any recommendations there?
If I were you, I'd contact the people at Torque and ask them what they suggest for Apple applications; I'm sure they've had more than a few inqueries; so they might have a solution.

That first piece (Automatic) looks like a great concept; it is true, applications for cars don't really need all of the services that are normally required by a full subscription plan; background communication for just apps is enough. I'd sure like to know what provider they talked into a one time fee to provide service. But that looks promising.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I've got an old Garmin, try to update yearly, got a notice on the last update "need to install a larger memory card."
And those older units are sealed aren't they (you can't open it to upgrade parts).
The way they write apps now have gotten huge; it's not so much just the data, but what they use to control it has grown (hence the larger memory card).
The New Garmin's and Tom Toms are still pretty reasonably priced, and the screen resolutions are vastly improved.
Might be time to retire the old one and invest in a new one.

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Continental, one of Elio's suppliers, has an advanced HUD available. Perhaps this is the one being discussed.

http://continental-head-up-display.com/
Given the detail of Elio's vehicle configurator website making mention of a photochromic mirror/screen and the blind spot cameras, I'm certain the iScout premium model is the one being made available as an option.

But the features available from Continental's family of HUD products appear more in line with my own spending priorities.

While the iScout markets itself as an excellent hands-free alternative to managing smartphone actions while driving (reading and replying to SMS text messages; placing, ending, or accepting traditional phone calls; reading social media updates and breaking news alerts; etc.), Continental has very impressive Lane Departure Warning, Adaptive Cruise Control, and Augmented Reality technologies integrated into their HUD products.

If only the best features from both company's lineups were morphed into one or compatible with one another's sensors and cameras...

One question I have stems from the common navigation feature embedded into most of these modern HUD devices -- does a consumer have the freedom to utilize the platform of their choosing (i.e. Google Maps, Apple Maps, MapQuest, Waze, Garmin, etc) from their connected smartphone device, and the HUD will display whatever prompts it is told to present, or are you forced into using some native, proprietary navigation platform unique to the creator of the HUD device?

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I use an app called Waze.

Much like Maps but more interactive and users can input current traffic conditions, speed tracks, police in vicinity, construction etc.

When another Waze user Navigates thru these obstructions and slow traffic, Waze will direct user to an alternative route.

Maps are current for Canada, USA and Mexico.

I used it on our last trip to Ixtspa Mexico and maps were up to date with points of interest to boot

Waze is available for Androide and Ios systems

Free to use.

vietvetx2

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm going to use a special 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen blend. I bought a compressor from a guy who said that nitrogen was great for tires and this compressor puts it out at 78% purity levels. I figure once the 21% oxygen leaks out, I can refill the tires and that will give me about 94% nitrogen. Do that the next time and I'd have 98.68% nitrogen. Right on. :p :rolleyes:

You almost had me. I was about to ask where he got a compressor that "pulls 78% nitrogen". Then I said to myself "Hey dumb ass, dry air IS 78% nitrogen". However I do like the seasonal air idea. How about adding that smell that the gas companies add to natural gas?:rolleyes:

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I use an app called Waze.

Much like Maps but more interactive and users can input current traffic conditions, speed tracks, police in vicinity, construction etc.

When another Waze user Navigates thru these obstructions and slow traffic, Waze will direct user to an alternative route.

Maps are current for Canada, USA and Mexico.

I used it on our last trip to Ixtspa Mexico and maps were up to date with points of interest to boot

Waze is available for Androide and Ios systems

Free to use.

Also, Waze has the option of Morgan Freeman's voice giving you directions.

Top Bottom