• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Hud For The Elio

Do you like the Elio?

• Yes

Votes: 61 83.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 12 16.4%

• Total voters

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I also prefer analog gauges. Actually, it would be more accurate to say I prefer the look of analog gauges. Those gauges you speak of, Samalross, are probably not analog in your current vehicle. Most speedometers and tachs are electronic which activate an analog needle. This makes them no more reliable than a digital version of a pointer. But, the actual gauge is electronic. If you mean that you'd rather see an actual oil pressure rather than an idiot light, I agree.

I forgot my point. A digital dash can emulate an analog one well enough you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference (look how some of the Google wear watches look just like analog watches). It'd then be able to handle all manner of alerts and also could double as a back-up camera monitor when necessary.
Most of my cars are over fifty years old, have newer vehicles for reliability, but do no like them. Felt like I am in control of an older vehicle, newer cars make me think that the computer is in charge and I am helping it along until they have self driving cars. Thats my crazy rant for today.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Most of my cars are over fifty years old, have newer vehicles for reliability, but do no like them. Felt like I am in control of an older vehicle, newer cars make me think that the computer is in charge and I am helping it along until they have self driving cars. Thats my crazy rant for today.
Understood. I've had my share of older cars.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Understood. I've had my share of older cars.
Same here, but then I got my 2017 Dodge, and found I can get it without all the foo-foo stuff, so that's how I took it.
It offers navigation, and all the warning crap, but I took it without all that and just love it, it's like driving a "regular" car. No driver aids at all, and just love it. It's too bad you can't do that on all cars.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Same here, but then I got my 2017 Dodge, and found I can get it without all the foo-foo stuff, so that's how I took it.
It offers navigation, and all the warning crap, but I took it without all that and just love it, it's like driving a "regular" car. No driver aids at all, and just love it. It's too bad you can't do that on all cars.
You 2017 Dodge does have driver aids. It has ABS, TC and stability. If you are looking for even something cheaper, drives more like a regular car then get a VW Jetta. VW is one of the last few companies that offer a manual transmission. The only nanny they have (except for the mandatory ABS, TC and stability) is a backup camera (which is mandatory in 2018). You can pick one up for $14K and they will easily give the 40 mpg on the highway (most are getting 45-48). If you like something of the size of an SUV, there's the Golf Sportwagen. It even comes with 4wd and in a manual. My nephew picked up a 2017 for $21K.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You 2017 Dodge does have driver aids. It has ABS, TC and stability. If you are looking for even something cheaper, drives more like a regular car then get a VW Jetta. VW is one of the last few companies that offer a manual transmission. The only nanny they have (except for the mandatory ABS, TC and stability) is a backup camera (which is mandatory in 2018). You can pick one up for $14K and they will easily give the 40 mpg on the highway (most are getting 45-48). If you like something of the size of an SUV, there's the Golf Sportwagen. It even comes with 4wd and in a manual. My nephew picked up a 2017 for $21K.

Are they still lying about their emissions? It's hard to get onboard with a manufacturer who so blatantly lied to it's customers.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Are they still lying about their emissions? It's hard to get onboard with a manufacturer who so blatantly lied to it's customers.
You can thank VW for the EPA changing their tests for everyone. Now it's pretty much impossible to do it. In the end, VW got punished here in the US more than companies that lied about ignition switches and another one about airbags and another one about their cheating diesels. If VW would have removed one rear wheel, they would be in compliance for emissions over any ICE trike or ICE motorcycle.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The Dodge was $20k (sticker was $31k, marked down $11k to get the 17's off the lot), and I can turn TC off; the one thing that those two can't offer is height, and that's the one thing I need; I have back problems, and so does the wife, so getting up and bending over is a problem, had a beautiful Magnum that I sold cuz it was just too low for getting in and out of (yes, I know the Elio is going to be the same problem, but I'll adjust for it, she won't and that's fine). I did look at VW and couldn't get the deal I wanted.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does it have a backup camera? Those are great if you have back problems or limited mobility. It's a bit hard to get used to it because you want to turn around but after a while, you get used to it.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Does it have a backup camera? Those are great if you have back problems or limited mobility. It's a bit hard to get used to it because you want to turn around but after a while, you get used to it.
I put one in; got used to it in my last vehicle, so it was one of first mods I did ($70) and it works like a champ.

Top Bottom