• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Ever Falling Hp Of The Elio.... :(

How slow are you willing to go 0-60 mph?

• the faster the better!

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • under 8.0 sec

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • under 9.0 sec

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • under 10.0 sec (original Elio claim)

Votes: 89 58.9%
  • As slow as necessary to ensure 84 mgp hwy

Votes: 26 17.2%

• Total voters

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To bad EM wasted millions paid to IAV (50% + controlled by VW) in the develeopment of a new engine when there may have been an off the shelf production engine that would have been satisfactory with respectable mpg, perhaps on the road by now.

Also, a twin hub motor or rear wheel electric drive EVElio producing a quicker 0-60 mph and no gas ever that may have helped to guarantee the ATVM loan and perhaps both models would be on the road by now with the EVElio higher msrp, but less cost to maintain and operate over time. Also, I would have enjoyed taking advantage the recent reinstated electric motorcycle tax credit while owning the fastest Elio on the planet.

A 2 model Elio rollout providing options for both gaspoweredawesome and electricpowerered awesome preferred owners.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To bad EM wasted millions paid to IAV (50% + controlled by VW) in the develeopment of a new engine when there may have been an off the shelf production engine that would have been satisfactory with respectable mpg, perhaps on the road by now.

Also, a twin hub motor or rear wheel electric drive EVElio producing a quicker 0-60 mph and no gas ever that may have helped to guarantee the ATVM loan and perhaps both models would be on the road by now with the EVElio higher msrp, but less cost to maintain and operate over time. Also, I would have enjoyed taking advantage the recent reinstated electric motorcycle tax credit while owning the fastest Elio on the planet.

A 2 model Elio rollout providing options for both gaspoweredawesome and electricpowerered awesome preferred owners.

You "know" the reasons, as they have been discussed many, many......many times. :rolleyes: :D
:deadhorse:

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Which engine are you referring to?

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tunes alone tend to get much better results on turbo motors since you can increase the boost pressure. With an NA motor you can usually find a handful of HP, but not nearly as much as with a boosted motor. It is something I would do since I am not concerned with getting anywhere close to the 84 MPG, but not everyone wants an Elio for the reasons I do :)

I figure as long as the Elio gets better than the 35 MPG mixed highway/city I was getting in my Hyundai then it is a win. My motorcycle only gets 40 MPG, but it is an inefficient brick of a bike. My last bike was a Honda CBR250R that got around 70 MPG but was a lot less fun ;)

TeamCoconutOreo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I read an article about the new Eco Boost Mustang and re-maping or doing a tune will increase HP and Torque significantly, would a tune work on the Elio? No turbos or other parts needed, just a custom software update.

Yes, a reflash would definatly help the Elio, especially due to the engines high compression. Tuning the timing curve for premium fuel would give the Elio a good bump. Due to premium fuels resistance to detonation you can fire the spark plug while the piston is closer to top dead center.

With explosions, more pressure makes for a stronger explosion. By fireing the spark plug a few degrees of rotation earlier your using your powerstoke more effectively.

Essentially by tuning the engine for higher octane fuel you are both extending your power stroke and adding a higher pressure explosion. This is a recipe for more power. In my opinion and experience, without any other changes, I would expect no more than a 5% power increase. Then again the highset compression I have ever worked with was a 10 to 1 compression V6, this little guy is a 12 to 1 compression motor.

You can also do things mechanically to add more air and fuel, but then you are messing with efficiency. Timing and octane are a way to add power with what you got. The awsome thing about tuning the timing curve for higher octane fuel is that you increase power throughout the power band, not just at the top end. That my friends is how you ad fun!

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tunes alone tend to get much better results on turbo motors since you can increase the boost pressure. With an NA motor you can usually find a handful of HP, but not nearly as much as with a boosted motor. It is something I would do since I am not concerned with getting anywhere close to the 84 MPG, but not everyone wants an Elio for the reasons I do :)

I figure as long as the Elio gets better than the 35 MPG mixed highway/city I was getting in my Hyundai then it is a win. My motorcycle only gets 40 MPG, but it is an inefficient brick of a bike. My last bike was a Honda CBR250R that got around 70 MPG but was a lot less fun ;)
my first 2 wheeler- Lambretta 150 scooter- guess about 100 mpg- tank capacity ,only from what I remember, about 1 1/2 gal!!

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So along with a reflash, you could open up the intake air with a free breathing filter and a larger exaust maybe for less restriction to maximize what the little 3 banger can do?
If the production intake and exhaust manifolds are anything like the ones in the P5 there's probably not much benefit to be had from replacing them. They look to be rather free-flowing designs as-is. It's nothing like the 300 inline six I have in my old Ford. That thing had log style manifolds and a tiny 1-barrel carb. Replacing the manifolds and adding a new 4-barrel carburetor to that should add ~60 hp and ~115 lb-ft of torque to that motor.

Top Bottom