• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Survey Said.....

how many options were offered by the survey to determine how much you would pay for A T

Votes: 10 34.5%

Votes: 1 3.4%

Votes: 17 58.6%

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, slinches, I get the idea now....

My first plan was to get a Elio with a Manual, drive off the lot and come right back and get the $1,200 Automatic put in as a upgrade and then sell the "used" Manual on e-bay, to recover some of the cost of the Automatic...

So I guess that plan doesn't work... with the Transmission exchange deal going on.... But...

I did write Elio Motors about this survey and their reply was... they were not looking at the cost of the Transmissions. because that price is not set yet for them... the survey was about... what percentage of people wanted a Automatic over a Manual Transmission... so they can go to the transmission suppliers and get the best price for both.... they also stated that there were different survey's, sent out to different areas of the "soon" to be Elio Nation...

I guess I just found their wording odd... why not just ask... Automatic or Manual? why ask the different money values, if they only just wanted to know which Transmission you wanted... odd...

Thanks for the feed back...

Proud to Be member #2225Z of the Elio Nation... see ya on the road..

I think I would first look online for that person who wants to trade an AT for a standard. Not a good bet....But...

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Proud, the cost of the automatic option is already based on the difference in cost between the manual and automatic. A rough ballpark estimate for the manual is probably something like $1700 and the automatic is maybe $2500 ($800 difference in cost and carrying the same ~15% profit, gives $950-$1000 for the delta option cost). The reason you can pay less than that to replace a transmission when it breaks is because you're trading in the value of the existing transmission or it's a used/refurbished unit.

If they go for a more complicated automatic (dual clutch AMT or CVT) that cost delta will almost certainly increase relative to the originally proposed single clutch AMT.
Well, yeah, except that Paul already said a year or so ago that the raw cost of the automatic was around $600. Consider the % of total price dedicated to a transmission. It simply can't be all that high!

We need to distinguish between cost (Paul's problem) and price (our problem). If a tranny costs Paul $600, the PRICE will be $800 at a 25% markup.

Even so, in terms of mfg cost, the tranny is running about 10% of the whole car! (Remember, the Elio has $500 profit per unit built into the $6800 price. In other words, EM's actual cost to make the sucker is $6300, with standard transmission). That's why I'm kind of shocked that they're even considering $1,000 or more for the automatic.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, yeah, except that Paul already said a year or so ago that the raw cost of the automatic was around $600. Consider the % of total price dedicated to a transmission. It simply can't be all that high!

We need to distinguish between cost (Paul's problem) and price (our problem). If a tranny costs Paul $600, the PRICE will be $800 at a 25% markup.

Even so, in terms of mfg cost, the tranny is running about 10% of the whole car! (Remember, the Elio has $500 profit per unit built into the $6800 price. In other words, EM's actual cost to make the sucker is $6300, with standard transmission). That's why I'm kind of shocked that they're even considering $1,000 or more for the automatic.
Just picking nits.
A price of $800 on an item costing $600 would be a 33 1/3% markup.

Top Bottom