• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Standard Equipment And Options

John-b-gone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With real estate being at a premium in an Elio, if I do feel the need for more backend in my tunes, I'm mounting a couple of Bass-Shakers under the seats. I've already got a pair, and they worked great in my Ranger.
I've used those "bass-shakers" many times in my home-theaters. They work great if you don't wont to transmit base/thumping to another part of the house.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree, microphones may be classed as "omni-directional" (they are not truly, either) but any generation of sound with the possible exception of earthquakes has a point source. Many people have been lied to by audio manufacturers who say that frequencies below (insert the crossover frequency of the manufacturers single subwoofer) are omni-directional when in fact the lower register sound stage is critical for accurate reproduction. It is harder to localize as the frequency drops, but listening is a learnable skill.
One of the tests I would do as a Klipsch rep was to ask if people could tell where the bass was coming from. People couldn't. The bass wave is like 17 feet long vs. The very, very tiny waves for treble. Treble is VERY directional to the point where if a tweeter isn't facing you, you can't even hear it. Bass? It is so omnidirectional that almost 100% of professionals only recommend a single sub for applications including home theater... Dolby 5.1 and 7.1 come to mind right away... the point one being the sole subwoofer in the system. In my theater, you can't tell where the bass is coming from nor in my truck where the sound engineers put, yes, a single sub.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I've had many jobs... radio installer for Circuit City (they sent me to audio school), Klipsch/Adcom rep, Industrial Engineer, many other civilian jobs, nuclear related positions with the government... A regular jack of all trades/master of none.

Ocean9000

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One of the tests I would do as a Klipsch rep was to ask if people could tell where the bass was coming from. People couldn't. The bass wave is like 17 feet long vs. The very, very tiny waves for treble. Treble is VERY directional to the point where if a tweeter isn't facing you, you can't even hear it. Bass? It is so omnidirectional that almost 100% of professionals only recommend a single sub for applications including home theater... Dolby 5.1 and 7.1 come to mind right away... the point one being the sole subwoofer in the system. In my theater, you can't tell where the bass is coming from nor in my truck where the sound engineers put, yes, a single sub.

Forgive me, but I disagree. It is true that higher frequencies are more directional, as I previously stated, but low frequency program can be localized as well if you learn to listen critically.
The ".1" in 5.1 and 7.1 is a dedicated LFE channel and should only be used for low frequency program material when the front mains are too small or otherwise limited. This alternate use is usually a "cludge" attempt to improve inadequate or poorly engineered systems.
If you like the way it sounds, that's great! Many people have asked me what speakers are the best or which they should buy. I tell them to buy the ones that sound best to them.
I have over thirty years experience as a professional sound reinforcement company owner and FOH engineer, so I must as part of my job, be able to determine where the bass is coming from.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Forgive me, but I disagree. It is true that higher frequencies are more directional, as I previously stated, but low frequency program can be localized as well if you learn to listen critically.
The ".1" in 5.1 and 7.1 is a dedicated LFE channel and should only be used for low frequency program material when the front mains are too small or otherwise limited. This alternate use is usually a "cludge" attempt to improve inadequate or poorly engineered systems.
If you like the way it sounds, that's great! Many people have asked me what speakers are the best or which they should buy. I tell them to buy the ones that sound best to them.
I have over thirty years experience as a professional sound reinforcement company owner and FOH engineer, so I must as part of my job, be able to determine where the bass is coming from.
You are, of course, correct about the ".1" being the LFE channel which is used for Effects... like a chair shaker. The typical "subwoofer out" of most stereos is where we connect the powered sub. Most people couldn't tell where bass comes from and in the less-than-optimum world where I was doing installs, it never mattered. I'd have people asking me where the bass speaker was quite often. The fact that the bass wave bounces around so much is a big help.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I plan to mount wheels on my sub and pull it behind the Elio like a trailer.

big%20sub.jpg

Scott Berridge

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Still wondering what the plan will be for installing options for the all in reservations, which will be the priority productions when Elio starts filling orders. Will they be done at the factory? Will the distribution sites be in place by that time and they will be done there? (which means the retail locations will also have to be in place so delivery can be made) Will there be any options for the all ins to chose where they take delivery? I know it is all speculation at this point, but ti is still a big question/curiosity in my mind.
Still holding out hope that yellow will become an available color option. Not sure I like the idea of $1450 or so for a vinyl wrap just to get that color. Not sure of the pluses and minuses of a wrap. What happens to the paint finish when it comes off? How well does it hold up against road debris (rocks, bugs, etc.) and weather issues? (road salt treatments in winter climates)

Anderson Howard

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Still wondering what the plan will be for installing options for the all in reservations, which will be the priority productions when Elio starts filling orders. Will they be done at the factory? Will the distribution sites be in place by that time and they will be done there? (which means the retail locations will also have to be in place so delivery can be made) Will there be any options for the all ins to chose where they take delivery? I know it is all speculation at this point, but ti is still a big question/curiosity in my mind.
Still holding out hope that yellow will become an available color option. Not sure I like the idea of $1450 or so for a vinyl wrap just to get that color. Not sure of the pluses and minuses of a wrap. What happens to the paint finish when it comes off? How well does it hold up against road debris (rocks, bugs, etc.) and weather issues? (road salt treatments in winter climates)

I drive a van for the Disabled Veterans that has a wrap. I is 8 years old, sits outside all the time and the wrap looks like new

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom