• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Standard Equipment And Options

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
This one is only $30; remember the Elio doesn't have a rearview mirror
upload_2016-5-7_18-47-32.png

It's funny; I use the ESky equipment that looks sort of like this; but they're calling themselves EFeel

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This one is only $30; remember the Elio doesn't have a rearview mirror
View attachment 9354

It's funny; I use the ESky equipment that looks sort of like this; but they're calling themselves EFeel
I Like the look of the rear view
mirror because I'm used to it
@ with the camera & the back
up feature...works for me.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I Like the look of the rear view
mirror because I'm used to it
@ with the camera & the back
up feature...works for me.
When I put the Backup camera in the Nitro I thought the same; then I read in the reviews problems with vibrations in the monitors that clip over the existing mirrors and mirror focus problems with the ones that replace your mirror (aka not the best quality) so I went with a dash mounted monitor.
At first I thought 7" and it measured really tight in the area I wanted to put it in, so I went with the 4.3" and it's give a great picture for $20 (it also has multiple inputs)
Nitro Dash BU Mon .jpg

I thought the same with line of vision, and as big and tall as the dash is, it worked out great.

The camera I started with what I thought would be a good angle. Yeah, if you want to watch birds backing up.
So I did the move, look, move, look, move, bingo, wrong, move, try again.
The back of the Nitro is tall enough I had to go almost full down to see low level items.

Nitro Camera.jpg

I put a stool behind me and measured distance for the line scale it shows on the monitor.
The closest red line was 2.5' of distance which is plenty tight enough in a parking space.

Anyone that plans on doing their own camera system should do the same steps.
Know how far it is from the lines in the monitor to a solid object; don't "guess" what it should be because they are all different.

BiloxiGeek

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Anyone else seeing this in the configurator? Using my iPad in landscape orientation if I click the gear icon to hide the list of choices, that side bar and the icon both get hidden. Since you can't see the icon you can't bring the side bar back into view.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone else seeing this in the configurator? Using my iPad in landscape orientation if I click the gear icon to hide the list of choices, that side bar and the icon both get hidden. Since you can't see the icon you can't bring the side bar back into view.
I've always opened it on my desktop only; never tried on the phone or a tablet.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I put the Backup camera in the Nitro I thought the same; then I read in the reviews problems with vibrations in the monitors that clip over the existing mirrors and mirror focus problems with the ones that replace your mirror (aka not the best quality) so I went with a dash mounted monitor.
At first I thought 7" and it measured really tight in the area I wanted to put it in, so I went with the 4.3" and it's give a great picture for $20 (it also has multiple inputs)
View attachment 9355

I thought the same with line of vision, and as big and tall as the dash is, it worked out great.

The camera I started with what I thought would be a good angle. Yeah, if you want to watch birds backing up.
So I did the move, look, move, look, move, bingo, wrong, move, try again.
The back of the Nitro is tall enough I had to go almost full down to see low level items.

View attachment 9356

I put a stool behind me and measured distance for the line scale it shows on the monitor.
The closest red line was 2.5' of distance which is plenty tight enough in a parking space.

Anyone that plans on doing their own camera system should do the same steps.
Know how far it is from the lines in the monitor to a solid object; don't "guess" what it should be because they are all different.
I'm definitely getting a rear view camera, whether or not it's Elio's accessory or not. My question is -- where to mount the display. I don't want to poke a hole in the roof mounting it where a normal rear view mirror would go; it would be nearly directly overhead in any event. I would want a full-time camera, not just a back-up cam; I'm considering getting the "parking assistant" (just an IR rangefinder) which would take care of the back-up part. I'm not going to be trying to pick up a trailer, after all.

They make visor-mounted displays, but how much vibration issue there'd be I don't know.

Suction cup mount to the windshield is possible. Have to get a big one, and carefully pick the mounting point so it doesn't obstruct vision, then route the wiring under the headliner. Might be able to mount it to the A-pillar on either side; I'd have to get help doing it, as I'm no good with that sort of thing (I can do it but it looks like crap afterward).

Anybody got ideas?

Last edited:

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ekh --- For a few more bucks you can go with Bluetooth and eliminate much of the headliner wiring headaches. Also I seem to recall seeing a mount that bonds to the windshield like a replacement mirror so the rear view camera/monitor installation should be fairly simple.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm definitely getting a rear view camera, whether or not it's Elio's accessory or not. My question is -- where to mount the display. I don't want to poke a hole in the roof mounting it where a normal rear view mirror would go; it would be nearly directly overhead in any event. I would want a full-time camera, not just a back-up cam; I'm considering getting the "parking assistant" (just an IR rangefinder) which would take care of the back-up part. I'm not going to be trying to pick up a trailer, after all.

They make visor-mounted displays, but how much vibration issue there'd be I don't know.

Suction cup mount to the windshield is possible. Have to get a big one, and carefully pick the mounting point so it doesn't obstruct vision, then route the wiring under the headliner. Might be able to mount it to the A-pillar on either side; I'd have to get help doing it, as I'm no good with that sort of thing (I can do it but it looks like crap afterward).

Anybody got ideas?
Seems like a single-DIN head unit with flip out monitor and rear camera input would be a good way to go. That's what I'm planning to do.
image.jpeg

Power Acoustik PDR-780B 1-DIN Digital Media Receiver w/ 7" LCD Touch Screen at Onlinecarstereo.com

Top Bottom