• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Something’s Gotta Give.....

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I asked Elio a question this morning and got a response already. That's good. My question was: Are you going to display the Elio at the Detroit show in January of 2018? Here's their response:
Elio.jpeg

Elio Motors Customer Service (Elio Motors)

Dec 20, 12:54 EST

Hello!
Thanks for reaching out.
As you can imagine, the vehicles we take on tour are in huge demand. So, we don't set our schedule out too far in advance, so the best way to stay in the loop is to sign up for updates on our website and to "like" us on Facebook.
Also, find below a link that shows where we are headed next:
http://www.eliomotors.com/find-us/#events
Thanks again and let us know if we can help with anything!

Best,
The Elio Team

Looking at the above events website, there are no current plans for any display or tour. Really? Perhaps I will never understand marketing. In this case the marketing is to the financial people. If you are not interested in trying to sell it, why should they invest?
If reservations were not stalled at about 65,000 perhaps they would be more interested?

I'm also interested in what "huge demand" are they satisfying?

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It does appear the the Elio appeal seems heavier on the ‘older’ crowd, not just in this site but on others as well. I just can’t put a reason on it, maybe it’s just coincidental that only older people post on the internet about it. But if it’s more than that, the future competitors looking to get in this market needs to do some marketing and grooming. Is this skewed older market because of some ‘thrill’ seeking motorcycle sort of open road vicariousness, is it some flying around in a Citabria fantasy, is it sitting tandem (behind vs aside) away from our spouse, is it because it’s likely less expensive and cheaper to operate (I think that’s ultimately the last reason)? If so, why isn’t so appealing to younger people? Is it not fitting a bunch of friends in, is it different but not really cool? Does Sondors (and the others) somehow look cooler? Is side by side seating a big plus? Are all these still too big/long/wide? Is/was pursuing that earlier creative financing plan wholly unnecessary? Is high MPG really a factor? Will relatively more ‘sexy’ and sleek design and color broaden the appeal?

I bet the median age of interested people is around 50 (if not higher) and 98 percent white men: sure something that needs to be weighed, eh?

Is it just that such a bargain priced unique little vehicle with relatively little utility other than lone commuting and maybe separate fun little trips doesn’t add up to cool enough, and ultimately people would pay much much more just for that (Dodge Viperi sort of) appeal and still not have much utility anyhow? Is it possible that Paul’s vision, (regardless of the arguable mgmt and financial missteps) just outright ‘misses the mark’ consumer-wise ?

Any thoughts??? We sure like it, why don’t so many others?
Any of these new and upcoming 3wheelers are price driven. A 7K ICE Elio or EV in the form of SOLO, SONDORS or ARCIMOTO priced well below the more expensive LEAF, BOLT or the high end TESLA. The ELIO will no doubt be more appealing to a wider crowd because it will have a conventional ICE, have long range for work or play. The other 3 will most likely appeal to the older generations, retirees, seniors and a small percentage of workers who does not mind the restrictions of limited range. But to prove anyone's theory which one will sell the most, it has to be out there in the hands of customers and I'm not talking just a few for real unbiased assessment. Thankfully, one such 3wheeler, the SOLO is taking the lead and will enter mass production as early as April of next year! Only then will we find out if the car buying public is ready to embrace 3wheelers as their new means of transportation. I know I'm ready, just give me a chance to buy one! :D;)

Last edited:

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Any of these new and upcoming 3wheelers are price driven. A 7K ICE Elio or EV in the form of SOLO, SONDORS or ARCIMOTO priced well below the more expensive LEAF, BOLT or the high end TESLA. The ELIO will no doubt be more appealing to a wider crowd because it will have a conventional ICE, have long range for work or play. The other 3 will most likely appeal to the older generations, retirees, seniors and a small percentage of workers who does not mind the restrictions of limited range. But to prove anyone's theory which one will sell the most, it has to be out there in the hands of customers and I'm not talking just a few for real unbiased assessment. Thankfully, one such 3wheeler, the SOLO is taking the lead and will start mass producing as early as April of next year! Only then will we find out if the car buying public is ready to embrace 3wheelers as their new means of transportation. I know I'm ready, just give me a chance to buy one! :D;)[/QUOTE
Was hoping from a review by Rick, but seeing that he cancelled his reservation, I hope you give one. What is your reservation number?

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll take a crack at it:

1. (20's) are either uninterested in owning vehicles in general, or seem more interested in EVs.
2. (30's) are in the midst of raising kids and a lack of disposable income, making purchase decisions based on utility.
3. (40's) are more focused on their career and raising teenagers, college funds, so more concerned with what's available, not what might be.
4. (50's) kids out of the house, starting to focus on retirement savings, or they go the opposite way with a mid-life crisis moment and spend money on a boat, sports car, motorcycle, vacation home.

Also, if my FB feed is anything to go by, people in their 20's and 30's are straight off their first marriage, and pretty heavily invested in the dating scene, piecing their lives back together.

Whats all this hate on the "Younger" generations?? I am 32 years old, and have been a reservation holder for several years now.
I love the idea and use of the Elio, and wish I had one in my garage. I have a wife and child, a home, and many of the things you mention..but still very much look forward to owning an Elio. I own a truck for hauling when I need it, a Ford Fusion Hybrid for my daily driver, and my wife owns a Mini Countryman. The plan is to sell the Fusion when my Elio arrives, and have our Truck/Countryman/Elio for our driving needs to work and entertainment.

Sailor Dog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seems like the puppies (millennials & younger) at the dog park are wagging vigorously about the ELIO...not just the old dogs!
They need a huge financial break and ELIO gives it to them...triple your gas bill using one payment method. And as upgradable and replaceable as an iPhone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom